Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 31 Aug 2015 05:43 #11

• Harboda77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 122
Peter, Have I read this correctly ~ Recommendations for Mouse Preference User's or How to make Windows 10 work like Windows 7 ?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/galleries/applications/windows-10-start-menu-secrets-every-desktop-pro-should-know-3585734/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 31 Aug 2015 07:54 #12

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 639

Harboda77;163803 wrote: Peter, Have I read this correctly ~ Recommendations for Mouse Preference User's or How to make Windows 10 work like Windows 7 ?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/galleries/applications/windows-10-start-menu-secrets-every-desktop-pro-should-know-3585734/

I updated to START10 utility last week (previously had been using the Windows 8 START8). It gives you a Windows 7 'look' for $4.99 and the registration works on several PCs.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 31 Aug 2015 09:05 #13

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 563
Every since Windows came out I always put all my apps (except those very infrequently used) on the desktop and blocked them in groups of app type. Those most often used will be on the task bar. So far I don't see that being a problem in Win 10, just a bit of time to get it sorted. The other thing I do was to set up Libraries with my most commonly used directories, I haven't checked but I hope this is possible. The Apps menu in Win 10 looks a nightmare to use as everything seems to have been added including some help files etc. Worse still if you don't recall the maker of your app you have to scroll up and down in the hope you recognise it! I haven't used the menu much since Win 95, why click and scroll multiple times when a single click will do?

I had a quick look at the Edge (David Evans?) and it looked sparse as expected so will just need to find out how to clear junk or stop it accumulating.

I haven't tested network connections or printers yet and I have yet to find them in the menus.

I also haven't looked at File Explorer but I am hoping it can use the two pane system that it originally had in Win 3.x as I still use that and it causes less "loss" of directories when moving them as the destination didn't suddenly expand when you let go and dumped your directory in an unknown location - it happens an awful lot! Also has it got rid of that awful green progress bar that lock up explorer, sometimes for many minutes before you can even use it! I use Xplore2Lite it is instant (no stupid green bar) and has two panes and also has a much better rename facility. And its free.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 31 Aug 2015 10:02 #14

• deprecated
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 57

mbriscoe;163805 wrote: I updated to START10 utility last week (previously had been using the Windows 8 START8). It gives you a Windows 7 'look' for $4.99 and the registration works on several PCs.

'ClassicShell' is free and gives options to customise the start menu (and explorer etc.) to suit whichever flavour you prefer.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 31 Aug 2015 10:35 #15

• deprecated
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 57

Peter Kirk;163807 wrote: Every since Windows came out I always put all my apps (except those very infrequently used) on the desktop and blocked them in groups of app type.

Which looks pretty but is the beginning of your Windows problems. It's the way MS thought people wanted to work but they didn't implement it very well. It slows down boot time and fills memory with things that don't need to be there - answer, get a more powerful Processor and more memory...OR better still, use the computer more efficiently.

Peter Kirk;163807 wrote: Those most often used will be on the task bar. So far I don't see that being a problem in Win 10, just a bit of time to get it sorted. The other thing I do was to set up Libraries with my most commonly used directories, I haven't checked but I hope this is possible. The Apps menu in Win 10 looks a nightmare to use as everything seems to have been added including some help files etc. Worse still if you don't recall the maker of your app you have to scroll up and down in the hope you recognise it! I haven't used the menu much since Win 95, why click and scroll multiple times when a single click will do?

I'm beginning to see why you have so often mentioned the problems you have with computers.
The Start menu is actually a very efficient way of organising things (files & directories not just programs). Easy to organise things into Types, sub-types or whatever suits you - yes an extra click or three of the mouse but you've got far more of the computer memory useable without thye desktop clutter. I've never used 'libraries' in the emulated path sense - I'm old-fashioned and prefer to have a sensible and organised directory structure. The old way is safe and secure.

Peter Kirk;163807 wrote: I also haven't looked at File Explorer but I am hoping it can use the two pane system that it originally had in Win 3.x as I still use that and it causes less "loss" of directories when moving them as the destination didn't suddenly expand when you let go and dumped your directory in an unknown location - it happens an awful lot! Also has it got rid of that awful green progress bar that lock up explorer, sometimes for many minutes before you can even use it! I use Xplore2Lite it is instant (no stupid green bar) and has two panes and also has a much better rename facility. And its free.

All versions of windows since at least 3.11 have allowed multiple explorer windows (though pre-Win98 they weren't implemented very well). Your green bar syndrome is almost certainly due to the amount of .... you've got in memory and windows having to interpolate numerous emulated paths. Xplore2Lite adds to the memory clutter with it's database - quite clever really as if you try to use Explorer after that you'll see that Explorer has gone even worse!

I love all the Windows bashing that goes on and will join in regularly (I still use almost every version of Windows since 3.11 - though not ME or Vista). I also use several flavours of nix and will be just as quick to point out how bad most of them are. I also have the misfortune to use a macbook pro (vastly overpriced for what it is....but it does look the part and is better than a PC for video editing)

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 31 Aug 2015 12:24 #16

• Peter Kirk
I didn't realise all the desktop short cuts would be detrimental to performance. I do get very annoyed when things that were a simple click away become nested. It sort of goes against the grain. When I first saw a GUI on the Apple Lisa I did say to the Apple guys it was a lot slower to do things that were very quick before.

I will investigate the Start menu method and remove the lesser used short cuts on my Win 7 PC first. Things like the snipping tool will probably remain on the task bar as to add three clicks for that would be insane.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 31 Aug 2015 18:19 #17

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 343
All my frequent-use apps are on hotkeys - Alt/Ctrl + N otepad, eX cel, W ord , P aint, S canner V isio etc

I never could get on with Explorer. My file manager of choice has been Avanquast's Powerdesk (cos I paid for it years ago) However it's never been reliable, prone to hanging. Apart from that it does most of what I want - multiple panes, power rename, file viewer, intelligent search etc. Historically it's been produced by a number of companies over the years (I started with On-Track's PD4 Free and have settled with PD7 which is more reliable than PD6, but has lost the Visio viewer in PD6 which I used a lot. My experience along with others was that PD8 was a retrograde step, PD9 was even worse - painfully slow and unusable. I paid for it and got my money refunded as did many others as 'unfit for purpose'. Avanquest turned an excellent product into a mediocre upgrade.

I've tried many of the free Explorer replacements, but they don't have the scope of Powerdesk.

I believe the best file manager is the Aussie 'Directory Opus'. I used the trial version for a month and was totally impressed with stability and speed, but in the short term I'll put up with daily Powerdesk crashes and save £41.

My most usable Windows was definitely Win 98SE but it needed the PC Tools desktop and utilities which produced an interface that was a quantum leap above anything MS have ever produced - instantly switchable desktops, fully customisable folders with filters (show only jpg, or show docs AND pdfs etc) comprehensive file manager with viewers. It also had a tape streamer data backup which actually worked unlike the software which came with the device. It was superior to the popular Norton desktop which many people used at the time.

Most impressive was the way it kept all its settings in six files in a subfolder called .../PCtools/data. I backed this up regularly (just a few meg - a tiny fraction of just the modern Windows registry apart from all the other clutter) which meant that when Windows went t*ts up, I could restore all my settings in less than a minute. Are you reading this MS !

PCTools (Central Point - not the later pale imitations) was bought by Symantec who reputedly sacked one of the best programming teams ever put together. Some of their early creations (defrag etc) were licensed to MS which caused issues as MS b*st*rdis*d the products removing important aspects of its functionality. PCtools had warned against this, MS ignored the warnings. (The PCT defrag was way ahead of Win98 defrag).

Currently still running a very much slimmed down XP ( My C partition is just 6 gig with less than 2 gig in use). When it gets tired I can reclone it in less than five minutes. - don't want the bloat or slowness of Win 7 and will never use any other MS OS again. I have a few expensive legacy apps which work perfectly and will not run on Win7 in any 'compatibility' mode.

Oh the joys and simplicity of DOS 6.2 (apart from Abort / Retry / Fail).
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 31 Aug 2015 19:36 #18

• Peter Kirk
MS didn't have to listen a few years back, something they will have to do from now on.

Although I didn't use it at home OS/2 was brilliant for work. I had 3 DOS "windows" for different purposes and memory configurations and later an MS Windows window. Each "window" was customisable to suit purpose and in one it opened straight into Lotus 123. As programmes were written more efficiently in those days I never really noticed speed problems and productivity increased dramatically for the first time since the '386 chip came out. Increasing productivity was something I was later to regret as the rate of improvement was not sustainable and has never been that great since. When laser printers first came out the productivity dropped as the looks over content took over and the first lasers took 5-10 mins to print from DOS with all the printer codes having to be embedded in you spreadsheet. Still it was a lot quieter than a dot matrix in and acoustic housing :)

Note: My computing experience was as a user and being very lazy I didn't see the point of repetition when a macro could do it in a fraction of the time. Trying to fit a single annual budget file for 12 months and 300 departs for 88 stores on a 360k floppy disk wasn't possible without macros in Lotus 123. The 80's was the best time for me at work as nobody else had bothered to take on the new technology.

Mainframe programmers will be going - "pah, you should try working with 34k memory" :)

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 01 Sep 2015 10:08 #19

• Harboda77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 122
FYI ~ The following advice, alert, check came up this morning via MYWAY.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20150901/us-tec--digital_life-tech_tips-windows_10_privacy-2b9c9ef03b.html

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 01 Sep 2015 11:30 #20

• Peter Kirk
The fact that they can collect data is worry No.1. They say they will not read your personal data, yer right! - worry No.2. Passwords stored on the net? - worry No.3. It won't take hackers long to suss this out and grab data.

There was an episode of The Big Bang Theory where they remotely controlled peoples appliances in other countries. It was funny at the time but enter worry No.4.

If MS want to connect to our appliances to create an integrated environment can't anyone see the folly in that? The MS ad a while back gave a load of examples of what internet connectivity can do for you but my existing timers and sensors do that already and are not hackable and as mush as MS say things are secure regular rafts of security patches tell me otherwise.

Worry No.5 is a terrorist EMP device as I haven't completed the EMP shielding in my bunker yet but the reinforcing for the concrete is a multi-layer Farraday cage :) Do insurance policies still not cover you for act of terrorism?

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds