Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 01 Sep 2015 12:12 #21

• deprecated
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 57

Harboda77;163846 wrote: FYI ~ The following advice, alert, check came up this morning via MYWAY.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20150901/us-tec--digital_life-tech_tips-windows_10_privacy-2b9c9ef03b.html

Another of those amusing articles that directs attention away from the worst data collection around - at least MS do it in very obvious ways (I don't agree with 'opt-in' being the default but at least you can opt out quite easily).

Google already collect 100s of times more data about individuals than MS ever have....I'd put money on the majority of people using this bulletin board using several google data collection tools already (oh yes, so does this bulletin board) and the direct data from those is collated with the less directly obtained data from other sources.

How much information do the banks and consumer loyalty card scheme systems collate?

I recently bought an item from a well known electrical retailer that I wouldn't normally use (on this occasion I had a guaranteed price match so the convenience of paying cash appealed). At the checkout I was ready to hand over several hundred pounds in cash when the girl on the till asked for my name and address..."what do you need that information for?" "it's for your guarantee". I suggested that the receipt was proof enough of my purchase but the till didn't allow her to not enter the info. I suggested I could give her some random info but by then she'd given up and called the floor manager - "yes, we need the information to record your guarantee" he said. When I suggested that I would take my money elsewhere he suddenly came up with an idea - use the store's own name and address. Quite a queue had built up around me (sorry sheep) all of whom were probably quite happy to accept the nonsense about name and address being needed.

Peter, my office has a Faraday Cage...I'm always a bit worried that in my foil hat the sparks make me look like part of a dodgem car.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 01 Sep 2015 13:17 #22

• OneEighthBit
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13

Iain Taylor;163851 wrote: At the checkout I was ready to hand over several hundred pounds in cash when the girl on the till asked for my name and address...

"I am not a UK resident" - works every time.

Oh and for the truly paranoid: https://fix10.isleaked.com/

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 01 Sep 2015 15:25 #23

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 563
Would you want Cortana to let you know your appointment at the "clinic" is in 15mins, loudly on a crowded bus? Or would you turn it off whilst you are out thus defeating the object?

I'm sure I wasn't this cynical 20 years ago. Isn't getting old fun :)
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 03 Sep 2015 10:13 #24

• nimrod169
  • Thank you received: 0
Simple problem solution ... MAC!

Changed over from MS years ago, no regrets.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 03 Sep 2015 12:20 #25

• CJH
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I'm sticking with Win 7...for now....Cortana...touch screen...icons on the screen - forget it - sounds just like Vista and windows 8 all over again - I have a PC not a bloody phone, and use it for PC based applications - very few of which are Microsoft

...if they insist on everyone having Win 10 with it's data gathering, targeted advertising, compulsary updates and Cortana etc it will be "Hididdledee a Macintosh for me"
Late last night upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today Oh how I wish he'd go away

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 03 Sep 2015 12:37 #26

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 343

Peter Kirk;163835 wrote: Although I didn't use it at home OS/2 was brilliant for work.

Ah OS/2. Years ago I went to a Windows Show at Olympia and IBM presented their 'OS2 for Windows' which promised to revolutionise Windows 3.1. Being IBM it was a very impressive demo and consequently my colleague and I bought one each at the unmissable offer price.

Chris rang me a few days later and asked how I was getting on. I told him I hadn't even got round to opening the box. He told me not to bother as it only worked with 3.1 and not 3.11 which most people were using by then. (3.11 was a very stable platform compared with 3.1 and then 95 which followed it). Complete waste of money unfortunately, and the heavy box with its 30 floppies and 1,000 page manuals was relegated to becoming a door stop.

I later learned (and had more personal experiences) that IBM were noted for their superb presentations and terrible software.

At a later Windows Show I went to an MS Autoroute demo - again a great presentation. After the demo I took the presenter to one side and mentioned that the product which I'd previously bought was so slow compared with its predecessor, as to be almost unusable. (MS had taken over the UK company Nextbase who developed the original excellent product. They had added numerous bells and whistles and wrecked it.)

The presenter told me that at MS they were '... not interested in speed, only superb products.' I had to admit he was 50% right! He then went on to say that the next version they were working on was even better and was a must buy. I tried to get him to back pedal and discuss the current product which he'd just demonstrated as 'the best', but he wasn't having it. 'Wait till you get the next version - you'll be gobsmacked' was his only line.

I didn't buy the next version and noted with great satisfaction that all the magazine reviews I read slated the product as 'so slow as to be useless'.

Back to the original thread subject, ZDnet's latest thread is 'Windows 10 after 1 month' and an awful lot of contributers are having serious issues with the updates. Many have now gone back to Win 7.

Remember Brien's First Law:
At some time in the life cycle of virtually every organization, its ability to succeed in spite of itself runs out.

The clock is ticking :twisted:
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 03 Sep 2015 13:35 #27

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 563
Since I upgraded my laptop, which I only use occasionally, I have used it twice and both time it appeared to be downloading and updating something and was unusable for the first 15 mins. Is there a way to see what is happening on the download front, i.e. who and what? Very annoying when you only want to show somebody some photos!
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 03 Sep 2015 14:27 #28

• Harboda77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 122
Welcome to MS Laptop Update World ~ mine has done the same since new and updates approximately every ten to fourteen days.

The update can take from half an hour to longer than there is any life left in the battery pack.

The down load and update phase prevents any other actions from working and I just leave it plugged in and come back every half hour to see how its getting on.

I've observed three different phases that are as follows:

1) Screen message informing me that its downloading one of up to fourteen updates and not to switch off ( If I forget to plug in the charger then it adds an additional phase it calls recovery that has taken up to two hours.

2) It then displays an updating message that can include automatic powering down and powering back up again.

3) The final message indicates that its updating one of up to 37,000 machine codes that displays how many have been completed.

It performs one more automatic power down and power up concluding with updates complete message.

This activity can kick in while I'm performing what the system considers a lower order priority and takes control in my best interests.

As I'm retired and approaching a retarded state this permits me to make a drink and then watch some news on the box however within thirty minutes can return to the LT to observe update progress as this will be more informative that what's on the box.

Its possible that I could locate a screen that would allow me to be in control of the update process but then that would remove the element of surprise.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 03 Sep 2015 14:41 #29

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 638

Iain Taylor;163851 wrote: Another of those amusing articles that directs attention away from the worst data collection around - at least MS do it in very obvious ways (I don't agree with 'opt-in' being the default but at least you can opt out quite easily).

Google already collect 100s of times more data about individuals than MS ever have....I'd put money on the majority of people using this bulletin board using several google data collection tools already (oh yes, so does this bulletin board) and the direct data from those is collated with the less directly obtained data from other sources.

How much information do the banks and consumer loyalty card scheme systems collate?

I recently bought an item from a well known electrical retailer that I wouldn't normally use (on this occasion I had a guaranteed price match so the convenience of paying cash appealed). At the checkout I was ready to hand over several hundred pounds in cash when the girl on the till asked for my name and address..."what do you need that information for?" "it's for your guarantee". I suggested that the receipt was proof enough of my purchase but the till didn't allow her to not enter the info. I suggested I could give her some random info but by then she'd given up and called the floor manager - "yes, we need the information to record your guarantee" he said. When I suggested that I would take my money elsewhere he suddenly came up with an idea - use the store's own name and address. Quite a queue had built up around me (sorry sheep) all of whom were probably quite happy to accept the nonsense about name and address being needed.

Peter, my office has a Faraday Cage...I'm always a bit worried that in my foil hat the sparks make me look like part of a dodgem car.

Probably so they can send you regular mailings to try and sell you extended warranty which I seem to remember is where they make serious money from sales.

Always amuses me that they sell you something, telling how good and how reliable it is then as soon as you hand over the money they try to tell you that it is unreliable and you need to pay more for an extended warranty.

I wonder if you could have responded by asking for the salespersons personal details in case you needed to take legal action against him for misrepresenting the item and he no longer worked for the store at that time.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 03 Sep 2015 14:42 #30

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 638

OneEighthBit;163854 wrote: "I am not a UK resident" - works every time.

Oh and for the truly paranoid: https://fix10.isleaked.com/

I suppose you could ask to see their registration under the Data Protection Act so you could be sure of what they would do with the information.

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds