Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 08 Oct 2018 18:26 #221

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 524
That is an unusual step for Microsoft as it confirms that there is a problem. I like the bit on their website where it says they "have the tools to get you back to a good state". Which one would that be, there are fifty to choose from?
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 10 Oct 2018 20:44 #222

• Peter Kirk
The update that was withdrawn has been corrected and will soon be winging its way to update your computer when it is most inconvenient.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 26 Oct 2018 18:56 #223

• Peter Kirk
I must be jinxed! I just bought an ongoing subscription to Office 365 Home - mainly because the rest of the family are using Office 2007. This is installed on my PC and not the web based version which seems to stop working when you lose the internet connection. I should have known the Microsoft path was paved with quicksand.

Everytime I open an Office App (Programme in my world) I get the following routine:

1) "Hello Peter, Confirm your account" I click NEXT
2) I then wait while it says "Getting Office Ready For You"
3) Then I get a screen called "The Fine Print" where I accept (like you have a real choice!) and start the app (eg Outlook)
4) The app opens and is fully functional but up pops a yellow bar below the ribbon saying there is a problem with my licence status and I need to sign in.
5) I sign in as requested and then wait while it says "Getting Office Ready For You" AGAIN!
6) Then, you've guessed it, I get a screen called "The Fine Print" where I accept (like you have a real choice!) and start the app.
7) Luckily the yellow message under the ribbon has now gone.

Microsoft help is useless as it seems to assume I am logged in via a web browser. I have checked the account used on all the apps and it is correct and the latest updates have also come through. If only things just worked!

I dare say I have got to uninstall office and perhaps Windows and start again - as if that is the easiest thing in the world to do!

I have Lotus 123 for DOS somewhere...........

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 27 Oct 2018 09:25 #224

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 329

Peter Kirk wrote: (1) I must be jinxed! (2) Microsoft help is useless... (3) I have Lotus 123 for DOS somewhere...........

1) No - your problems are representative of many of my friends. 2) Worse than useless - it frequently give incorrect advice.

3) I was working at BAe when they switched from Lotus to MS Office. There was almost a walk-out from the engineers and scientists forced to take this retrogade step.
123 was a reliable and intuitive product. Excel wasn't and still isn't. (When I enter '1/2' into a cell formatted as 'text' it should not appear as '0.5')

From today's ZDnet:
Worst Windows 10 version ever? Microsoft's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad October

In September 2017, Microsoft boasted that it had just released the "best version of Windows 10 ever." A year later, as Windows engineers struggle with the most recent release of the company's flagship operating system, there's a compelling case that the October 2018 Update is the worst version of Windows 10 ever.

Reading some of the comments it seems that if you update your hardware regularly you will have few problems. I guess this means buy a new PC every six months.

Recent ZDnet
Two Windows 10 feature updates a year is too many

The idea of delivering two full Windows 10 upgrades every year sounds great on paper. In practice, the Windows 10 upgrade cycle has been unnecessarily disruptive, especially to home users who don't have the technical skills to deal with those updates

MS should try and remember that Win 10 is an 'Operating System' and forget making it a feature-overloaded 'do everything'.

The ZDnet users' positive comments as usual fail to recognise that 90%+ of users are not computer literate and are unaware of the remarks that adorn the PC magazines and forums, e.g. 'The ten things you MUST do IMMEDIATELY to make Win10 usable' etc etc.

Then I read (Daily Express, hence reliable!):
A BEER drought looms because of global warming which could push up the price of a pint to a tenner, scientists warn.

Today (October) it's snowing in the North.

Wondered how I can emigrate to Mars or Venus (then discovered the surface temperatures are -60 and +480 deg. C respectively - somewhat uncomfortable). Perhaps the Moon is a better option.
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

Last edit: by Carnaby.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 20 Apr 2019 18:43 #225

• Peter Kirk
I eventually forced Microsoft to solve the problem in November 2018. I got an agent (Agent???) to call me back and she took over my PC after I failed to understand what she was referring to on a number of occasions. It seems not all Win 10 installs are the same (No shit Sherlock) and it took her a while to navigate to the correct setting and change them. I made notes but she moved fast and eventually said it was fixed after she opened Excel and no message came up and closed it again. Not convinced I asked if I could try as I had been here before. Opened Excel and said give it thirty seconds and sure enough the error message popped up. Not fixed, as I expected after following what she had done. Next suggestion was reinstall Windows to which I refused , insisting there must be some detritus left from the previous Office I used. After about 10 minutes of listening to a badly distorted Bruce Springsteen, she came back online and went to Command prompt. I was now feeling more hopeful. Sure enough resetting some registry entries cleared the detritus and Office worked without any messages.

Moral: When phoning tech companies , tell them what the problem is and how to fix it, although let them think they solved it for you!

Now the next problem has appeared after the last major update. My scroll button on my mouse is used a lot fro zooming in and out of maps. It works as advertised on Google Earth but no longer on many web based maps where it both zooms and scrolls leaving me wondering where the hell I am on a map. This is infuriating as after 10 years they decided to make some that was easy more difficult. After talking to a grown up I am led to understand that you now have to hold the control key when you zoom. I assume this is Microsoft led as they are fond of making easy things more difficult, like various improvements made to Office of the last 10 years.

I am at a loss to understand this latest "enhancement to the customer experience". My pet theory is it was a mistake someone made that accidentally went live and Microsoft won't admit it.

I won't mention that Windows has suddenly taken a dislike to my graphics card updating software and insists on frequently reminding me of its disgust with messages. Typical, you get rid of one lot of error messages only yo be presented with another, its the Windows equivalent of malaria!

Last edit: by Peter Kirk.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 25 Apr 2019 11:07 #226

• Carnaby
My neighbour's Win10 machine continues to give him sleepless nights. Yesterday I investigated his 'phantom contacts' problem in his email prog. These contacts are not in 'People' (deleted a long time ago) but continue to reappear in auto-complete. Discovered this issue was first reported to Microsoft in 2016. Apart from offering suggestions which don't work, what have they done about it - nothing!

He asked me to back up his data last week and we were astounded to find all the files in the backup had been redated with the current date. That's horrific and evidently MS's way of telling you you're not looking at the original file, but a copy, Sorry but I spend a lot of time finding a photo or document which I knew I created e.g. around four years ago. No longer possible if you've had to apply the backup. Does the same thing if you simply copy folders to another drive. Yuk!

A while ago I added a couple of very useful utilities which I find I can't live without. Following recent Win10 updates they no longer work on his PC. Tried to find a modern replacement - all far far too complicated to be usable.

I read an article a few weeks ago from some ex-Microsoft employees who reckoned Win10 was in meltdown. An ever-increasing bug list and an ineffective system of handling them with frequent staff changes meant that the company is relying on 'adding more fabulous features' to convince users that things were improving.

I also bumped into an ex-work colleague recently - a very pc-literate guy who had venomously opposed Apple over the years as 'stupidly overpriced'. He confessed he'd switched to a Mac a year ago and it was the best thing he ever did.

MS claims that 'the whole world uses 10' relate to copies downloaded. They ignore the increasing numbers of users who've dumped it for something which actually works.

In the meantime I soldier on with XP (as do an awful lot of people I come into contact with). Despite having not updated it since 25 April 2009 (yes - ten years ago today) when an update trashed the PC it's reliable and consistent and does everything I want. (Naturally I update my separate virus checker). Linux is still hovering on the horizon.

I'm currently proof-reading material for Paul's next book and have reminded myself what an abysmal programme Word is. I note that MS have been forced to rethink the Ribbon which appeared first in Office 2007. It seems that they've finally after 12 years listened to experts who told them right at the beginning the Word ribbon was crap. From another ex-MS employee:

The Microsoft ethnocentric culture and stack ranking employee rating system has given us a product that has way too many useless features, a difficult to use UI, and bugs that have not been fixed in 15 years. With Word 2007, they created a hard-coded, unmodifiable, space-wasting ribbon that emphasized form over function. My highly-customized, writer-oriented Word 2003 toolbar was tossed away in favor of a glitzy USELESS piece of garbage ribbon whose only function was be ‘pretty’.

Agree 100 per cent. Please UK Gov can we have referendum on leaving Microsoft,
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 25 Apr 2019 12:24 #227

• Peter Kirk
I was glad it took a while to get the new office whilst I was at work. All the macros and shortcuts I made were binned overnight when we upgraded and on top of that most of the automation of downloading formatting and loading into spreadsheets was also hampered by a multitude of confirmation boxes that insisted you were running dangerous software. Productivity plummeted as a result and people had to come into work for 06:00 to get the reports out by 10:00. It used to be 07:00 to 07:30. Progress eh! On top of that the auto emailing of reports to the mobile staff in the regions required a confirmation on every single email. There were about 100+! and each attachment was tailored for the customer so no bulk send.
IT stepped up to the mark to do what they were supposed to do 20 years ago but when I left the system required a lot of technical and data knowledge to get the correct numbers and some of the last 4 weeks and last six weeks comparisons could not be done. IT does what is easiest for them not for the user hence they still get in early and still use Excel and retype loads of numbers. The sweet smell of progress.

I now understand why the promise of an easier life with computers (BBC Tomorrows World prediction a lifetime ago?) to help us failed by at least 250% and has created the need for more drones to cover up its shortfalls.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 25 Apr 2019 12:35 #228

• Peter Kirk
Today I just upgraded my SSD, which is over two years old, to a new one twice the size. I cloned the old one in two hours (250Gb via USB2 - not that bad really). The reason for the upgrade was the message on boot up where the disk was checked and repaired every time. Not a good sign as I gather the SSD's can failed without warning and no chance of recovery. Also that they don't last very long compared to HDD's. Why the hell not, there are no moving parts!

The new disk booted first time but stalled once I started to use it, hopefully it was just a poor connection as the area where it sits only has room for two fingers and no way to see what your doing as the said two fingers block the view. The old disk appears to have been glued into the the case bottom (its a desktop) so it will have to stay as back up but disconnected.

I may have to replace my HDD soon as this is the third machine it has been in as my data drive - it was an early ITb drive I bought with a bonus whilst still at work. I wonder if a 1Tb SSD will be better????

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 28 Apr 2019 21:40 #229

• Peter Kirk
Hello? Is that Microsoft?
Yes sir how can we help you?
My hard disk failed and I now have a replacement disk but don't know how to get Windows 10 onto it.
Well sir you can easily download it from our website.
I don't have access to the internet because my hard disk failed and my laptop no longer boots up to give me access.
Then the best way is to order a DVD version of Windows 10.
I don't have a DVD drive as they don't supply them anymore.
I suggest you order an external DVD drive from Amazon and a copy of Windows 10 online.
I don't have the internet to be able to do that.
Are you trying to be deliberately awkward sir?
Yes, of course. No you know how it feels!

Probably not a conversation that actually happened although........ :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Austen

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 29 Apr 2019 10:58 #230

• Carnaby
Light aeroplane flying over USA - lost, instrument and radio failure and low on fuel.

Descends to 1,000 feet over built up area and spots a tall building with a couple of guys standing on the roof.

Descends to 500 feet and flies alongside building. Opens cockpit.

'Help', he shouts, 'I'm in trouble and need to find an airport quickly. Can you tell me where I am?'

Man on roof, 'Sure - you're sitting in an aeroplane mate'.

Pilot, 'Thanks' He does a 90 degree turn, flies for a mile, drops to 400 feet, 30 degree turn drops to 300 feet, then 45 degree turn and quickly descends to land at a small airport.

Explains to startled staff on the ground what had happened. 'How did you find out where you were?' they ask.

'Simple' he replied, 'I asked this guy a straightforward question'. He gave me an answer which was 100% correct but completely useless, so it was obvious I was at the Microsoft Customer Support Centre'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Austen

Last edit: by Carnaby.
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds