Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 05 May 2019 22:06 #231

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 589
I'm not sure if the latest update has messed with my printer settings as all my default settings had gone and it kept printing out little versions of the print in the top left hand corner of the paper. It took a while to find that the main problem was the scaling set to 30%. Printed fine yesterday and this evening was the first print since then!

Probably Microsoft targeted me after I posted that joke :)
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 06 May 2019 12:32 #232

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 364
Last year. after several years, my reliable Canon inkjet started to play up. As I had lots of spare cartridges I bought another from John Lewis - despite the negative reviews.

Plugged it in and PC said 'new hardware found'. Hmm I thought. Had to install new drivers and then found that the old driver works only with the old printer and the new driver works only with the new printer. Hence despite the printers looking identical and having the same part number they are not the same!

One year down the line I now agree with all the negative comments on the reviews. This printer spends most of its waking life cleaning itself - just like my neighbour's cat. It also consumes vast amounts of ink, rather like my neighbour's cat with food. The printer is black - as is the cat which has always been temperamental!

Despite being used on the previous day you hit print then get whirring rollers and bangs and clicks for 30 secs before it prints, followed by another minute of noise after the one-page print. Switched it off a few days ago and it whirred and banged for over two minutes before shutting down. The next day I was forced to do a 'deep clean' as the recently-installed black cartridge wouldn't print.

The old printer never did this. Progress!

Yesterday I fired up Firefox and everything had changed - my much-customized interface had gone and I was back to the unusable default. Web browse revealed lots of complaints as Firefox now disables things (my valuable add-ons) automatically if it decides it doesn't like it. (previously you got a warning that a license or something was out of date - proceed with caution.) I note all 'updates' are turned off, but they clearly can fiddle from afar.

Managed to find one post from a clever guy who'd found a fix. It meant editing the extensions.json file and changing all the instances of “appDisabled”: true with “appDisabled”: false, then all instances of “signedState”:-1 to “signedState”:2.

Brilliant it worked - this guy deservedly got many thanks. Firefox have apologised for the mess and have promised to do something about it 'soon'.

Today I fired it up and back to the mess - and now the fixes don't work. Another three hours of my life wasted.

And I note that the current views on the new Win10 upgrade are 'Expect Problems' nothing new there.

Why must we suffer?
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 06 May 2019 14:45 #233

• ColinArmfield
  • Thank you received: 10
This worked for me.

Update 3 (5/4, 7:30 AM ET): The team has announced a hotfix is rolling out now. It's applied in the background, so you shouldn't have to do anything to receive it. However, to make sure you get it right away, you can follow these instructions:

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, we are using the Studies system. You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

You can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.
www.engadget.com/2019/05/03/firefox-extension-add-on-cert/

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 06 May 2019 19:08 #234

• Peter Kirk
I'm sticking with my 6 year old Canon which actually stopped working some years ago but when our newr one stopped I tried it again after two years in the garage and it worked and that was two years ago!.

I stopped the constant "Canon dance" by leaving the thing on all the time. It no longer shuts down but pulling the plug solves that. All my previous printers went to the skip ONLY because the ink tray was full, nothing else and despite following all the conflicting advice on the web nothing worked. I still have 12 cartridges for that printer too as well a 6 from an old colour laser that also stopped working.

Yes the new printers are no where near as good as the older ones and none appear to be able to scan film. Most do not have covered paper trays nor do they automatically flip open the output tray when you print. I would happily pay for a decent printer but none meet all my requirements. I have now added an 8lb hammer to my printer repair kit, well it's the only tool in it.

I have also noticed that my Office Icons have changed look and don't stand out on my task bar as much as before.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Last edit: by Peter Kirk.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 22 May 2019 21:41 #235

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 653
I normally have my Windows 10 wallpaper set to a slideshow of pictures that I keep in a particular folder.

I have noticed recently that it now uses recent images displayed. It still seems to be set the way it was previously so I am puzzled.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 23 May 2019 07:01 #236

• mbriscoe
I have a folder that I use when editing images, the default folder for the wallpaper images had been changed to that and I did not do it so must have been done by a recent update.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 23 May 2019 08:58 #237

• Peter Kirk
There was a story about a chap who had friends round and pictures of his wife appeared on his changing screensaver in, shall we say, carefree photos. It seems that whatever he used for his screensaver had helpfully seeked out all his images and cycled through them.

I suspect this story is apocryphal but it rings true as I recall being asked by some piece of software if I wanted my photos organised. I don't know why some software insists on doing this as in my case I would get lots of images of TNA documenrts :)

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 23 May 2019 09:21 #238

• mbriscoe
It sounds possible, lots of people do most of their photography using their mobile phone and do not turn off options to upload pictures and share them.

Apparently some years ago, POTUS's photographer, who follows him around on trips in the US and abroad, was uploading them in almost realtime to the White House website. No dodgy pictures but all were Geotagged.

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds