Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Longmoor

Longmoor 21 Dec 2013 20:49 #1

• canberra
  • canberra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 52
There is (or maybe was?) an airstrip at this Army training area. Anyone know anything about it? I did my pre Bosnia training here but didnt see any sign of it. Im guessing that like the one at Barry Buddon it was built by the Royal Engineers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Longmoor 21 Dec 2013 21:52 #2

• Daveg4otu
  • Thank you received: 53
This is what little I have .....
LONGMOOR Camp(2.5 miles west of Liphook):Helipad/airstrip operated by the Army at Gipsy Hollow (51 04 38N/00 51 82W). (Something not quite right with the lat/long)

I believe it is the cleared strip to the south of the dual carriageway.

See my Hampshire,Dorset,Devon,IOW Airfields sites..
www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/

Longmoor 22 Dec 2013 13:24 #3

• canberra
  • canberra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Thanks for that Dave. And the longitude should be 000 51, 00 5 to me means 5 degrees west which is in the area of St Mawgan.

Longmoor 22 Dec 2013 17:38 #4

• Daveg4otu
  • Thank you received: 53

canberra;137303 wrote: Thanks for that Dave. And the longitude should be 000 51, 00 5 to me means 5 degrees west which is in the area of St Mawgan.

Looking at GE the correct co-ordinates are 51.04 32 05N/0.51 00 00W for the centre of the strip.

See my Hampshire,Dorset,Devon,IOW Airfields sites..
www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/

Longmoor 28 Jan 2015 09:19 #5

• Bpilot52
  • Thank you received: 0
In 1971 I was the 'Strip Officer' (not as much fun as it sounds) at RAF Thorney Island on 46 Squadron, flying Andover C Mk1. Longmoor camp was in use with army Beavers. From memory, it was grass, at most 1800' long. It was a possible training strip for our crews. Eventually, we arranged for a crash truck from Lyneham to attend while we tried a landing. On the day low cloud and thoughtlessly positioned high ground meant we couldn't land into wind, so we took a few knots of tailwind. Normally 1200 ft was enough for this Andover for a STOL landing (6 degree approach - full reverse before touch-down) but the braking action at Longmoor was so dire we used all but a few feet of the Longmoor strip. Needless to say it was ruled out for regular training after that.

Longmoor 04 Jun 2018 17:31 #6

• TerryClark
  • Thank you received: 21
Gypsy Hollow was still in use in the mid/late '70s by AAC Beavers; I know because I was an Air Traffic Controller at Farnborough from 1974 until 2008 and they always called us up on the way in and out.
I drove down there and found it was pristine with a very smooth grass surface and multiple signs prohibiting vehicles from the strip.
I went down there again whilst the A3 was being re-aligned and to my disgust, found that in spite of the signs, vehicles had been driven across it ruining the surface.
A few years later after the paras at Aldershot had dispensed with balloons for intitial training, they started using Skyvans operated by Shorts instead, emplaning at Farnborough and dropping at Hankley Common. We still had multiple runways then and the Skyvan was quite happy to depart from runway 25 and land back on runway 36 thus reducing turnround time however in order to get more drops in per sortie, the Army decided to re-furbish Gypsy Hollow and were at an advanced stage of planning (restoring and extending the grass surface - they showed us a copy of the plans) when the news broke that the paras were to be transferred to Colchester, so Gypsy Hollow was no more.
There are a couple of private airstrips nearby, one at Liss and another just south east of Longmoor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER

Last Edit: by TerryClark.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds