New ARG Chairman
Read More...

TOPIC: Warboys

Warboys 17 Oct 2017 07:48 #41

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
Browsing a Warboys RSP this caught my eye:

Building 19 - W.T. Station (Serving Wyton)

The building is protected and appears to be extant here:

wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=5...grat=None&rgrat=None

and

Courtesy of Old Maps website

I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere. It is not that it is a WT Station which intrigues me but why 'Serving Wyton'?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Warboys 17 Oct 2017 15:00 #42

• netcompsys
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 357

Richard Flagg wrote:

rapidman;103961 wrote: I love looking a old pics of local air-fields!! but ive always wonder what that place near worboys was??(52.392196,-0.086812) over the years ive not found ANYTHING about it,a bit suspect i think..... looking at the view ive got a feeling theres some form of bunker there?? maybe,maybe not??

rapidman, if its this building you mean then I believe it was something to do with communications but I am not 100% sure.

This building ? from earlier in this thread,

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

kevin
Last Edit: by netcompsys. Reason: de photobucketed !

Warboys 17 Oct 2017 16:05 #43

• Thank you received: 16
I believe that post war it was a transmitter site paired with Oldhurst that was a receiver site. I don't know why but I have it in my mind it was something to do with Mildenhall and other bases. Someone on here will know!

Warboys 17 Oct 2017 16:05 #44

• kebecker
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 73
there is a similar site at Cottesmore and at North Luffenham www.google.ca/maps/place/Cottesmore,+Oak...52.711747!4d-0.66532

www.google.ca/maps/place/Cottesmore,+Oak...52.711747!4d-0.66532

All three are surrounded by a very impressive steel fence. I have a dim recollection of RDF being mentioned in a description of one of these sites. I cannot remember where or when!

Warboys 17 Oct 2017 16:39 #45

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 142
From the web: At the risk of upsetting everyone, may I point out that the D/F (Direction Finding) station at Warboys is in fact Bomber Command's 8 Group, (HQ Wyton) W/T (Wireless Telegraphy) transmitting station This has been misidentified and copied in numerous publications.

Other sources suggests '...the 3 Group transmitter site at RAF Warboys near Huntingdon.. Also 'RAF Warboys transmitter site and the RAF Old Hurst receiver site'
Re the latter, I did wonder about this location as the possible Rx Site, but suspect it may just be a dispersed site for the airfield.

It's intact on GE rollback for 1945, but this view is dubious as it shows the Cold War additions to Wyton for that date! GE gets less reliable as the months roll by. Sign of the times.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.
Time to create page: 0.573 seconds