Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rivenhall Airfield, Essex

Rivenhall Airfield, Essex 18 Oct 2017 14:22 #1

• Lauren2
  • Lauren2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Hello guys,

I am new to this group, but am hoping to get a few questions of mine answered by knowledgeable enthusiasts!

I had a long-going interest in Rivenhall Airfield, and after visiting a year and a half ago (and many, many times since), I fell so in love with the airfield. Although much of it has been claimed to gravel extraction, the good bits that are left are of great interest and are totally beautiful pieces of history. I got together a little group, and am trying to save what is left on the airfield. I have been in contact with many people who have had relationships with the airfield, including the local farmer and his family. We understand the fields are owned by Gent Fairhead Co., who are planning to build an incinerator on the former airfield, although this has been in talks for many moons now.

We are currently in the listing process in hopes to at least protect it. If we can get Fairhead to come to a deal of letting us have the small Admin Site, we would like to fund raise and open a museum, where we can hold reunions and events.

I have been putting together a research file, but there are a few things that I cannot find out about the airfield.

There is a Norden Bombsight Store on this airfield, and we were told there was a door that said 'BOMB SITE STORES 66' and another metal door with paintings of bombs on. Has anyone seen this, or got photographs of it? We have never been able to find such door! It may have been removed, possibly when the Marconi moved there, but it would be nice to see some photographs of it.

Does anyone know what happened to the WAAF section in Storeys Woods? We found lots of metal sheeting, but nothing else. Even the farmer didn't know about its existence!

Does anyone have any other interesting information about Rivenhall they would like to share? How about photographs? Anything interesting that any of you saw during any visits? With permission, we would include them in the research file we are using to show its historical interest, and if the museum went ahead, we would put the images inside the museum.

I have attached some images I took during February in the Rivenhall thread in Sussex Airfields
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/e...hall?start=80#146831

Thanks
Lauren

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by netcompsys.

Rivenhall Airfield, Essex 18 Oct 2017 14:45 #2

• netcompsys
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 357
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lauren2

kevin

Rivenhall Airfield, Essex 18 Oct 2017 15:06 #3

• Lauren2
  • Lauren2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Thank you Kevin, sorry I wasn't too sure how to work this!

Rivenhall Airfield, Essex 18 Oct 2017 16:20 #4

• netcompsys
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 357

Lauren2 wrote: Thank you Kevin, sorry I wasn't too sure how to work this!

Yours is a typical request for help which we welcome, and a not unusual dilemna

My preference would be to post most of your text in the "introduce yourself" area and for you to contibute your photos to the Rivenhall thread

Posting the same message in multiple places is generaly discouraged, but you earn smartie points for contributing material in your initial posts ! :)

I will probably move your photos including the ones you posted in the memorial thread, to the Rivenhall thread and then move this thread to the "introduce yourself thread"

edit
Finished the moves.....

kevin
Last Edit: by netcompsys.

Rivenhall Airfield, Essex 19 Oct 2017 07:23 #5

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
From the Fold3 Air Force Photo Collection. Said to be crashed at Rivenhall

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by netcompsys. Reason: clarification - removed map tags
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.469 seconds