Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Bruntingthorpe

Bruntingthorpe 11 Aug 2008 01:45 #1

• Stevo
  • Stevo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi

Just trying to find out what the hangar is/looks like on the Bruntingthorpe airfield that houses XH558.

I think it could be an American built hangar, has anyone got any pictures and/or info of it?

Stevo ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bruntingthorpe 11 Aug 2008 03:45 #2

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 511
Hi Stevo,

I've visited Bruntingthorpe so many times now i've lost count. Especially in the last year or so to witness XH558 on her test flights.

The hanger in question is a Butler hanger and it was bulit especially for when the United States Air Force moved in with the Strategic Air Command in late 1954 with there Boeing B-47E Stratojets and Douglas RB-66B Destroyer aircraft amongst others.The entire airfield was re-built for the USAF including a new control tower (now demolished!!!...although thankfully the original WW 2 tower is still standing)) and of course the massive extended 2 mile long runway.

The hanger is empty for the time being as Vulcan XH558 is operating out of RAF Waddington for the rest of her air show dates for 2008.She's expected to return to Brunty in October.

Sorry though. I havent got any pics of the butler to post at the moment although am planning to pop back up to Brunty very soon.
Cheers
Steve.

Bruntingthorpe 11 Aug 2008 07:41 #3

• Paul Francis
  • Thank you received: 391
Stevie, can I ask how you know its a Butler hangar? The exact one at Alconbury is called the Wimpy hangar - though I guess thats because Wimpy built it and I have a drawing of it. You may well be right, just wanted to know the source. I have an excellent small archive of Bruntingthorpe of some super original drawings of the runway etc. Do we know what the post-war tower looked like? I am guessing it was similar to Chelveston and Elvington?

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Bruntingthorpe 12 Aug 2008 15:20 #4

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Paul,

I've read Bruntingthorpe's history in various books and magazines however it was defitnetly in an excellent book by Roy Bonser called "Aviatoin In Leicestershire and Rutland" which mentions the american hanger being a Butler. Theres a really atmospheric shot of an RB- 66B parked up inside the hanger actually. Looking at the aerial shots of the present day airfield it looks like the hanger was built right on the threshold of one of the original WW2 intercecting runways.

As for the American control tower which was demolished i haven't seen any pictures although in the same book it simply describes it as "of modern design" and it was situated on the North Western side of the airfield. Apparently the old tower was usuitable for the USAF and was converted into a weather briefing block.

Bruntingthorpe 07 Sep 2008 20:36 #5

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Okay..here we go. Had a bit of a mad moment with the camera at Bruntingthorpe today and got carried away as usual.Always a great place to have a look around both inside the airfield and around the perimeter.

There you go Stevo...just for you. Brunty's butler (?) hangar where XH558 has lived during her restroration. she'll be returning home following the Autumn air show at Duxford.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by stevie.

Bruntingthorpe 07 Sep 2008 20:48 #6

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
...A few more..........

Bruntingthorpe 08 Sep 2008 14:41 #7

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 15
Great shots, and fantastic to see the buildings instead of the Vulcan for a change!
What is access like, can you pitch up at any time and go in, or open gates on certain days?

James Thomas

Bruntingthorpe 08 Sep 2008 14:57 #8

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Cheers Mawganmad!

It's suprising how many buildings are all still standing actually. Especially the WW2 era buildings being as the whole site was basically re-built for the americans.
The airfield is open to the public on sundays only from 10.00am till 4.00pm and costs £5.00 which i think is 5 quid well spent to be honest. Many of the buildings which i took pics of can be found any day of the week however mainly on the Bruntingthorpe Industrial Estate and in the surrounding countryside.

Bruntingthorpe 08 Sep 2008 20:30 #9

• jason
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 55
These were took in March 05 for a classic car magazine feature (Practical Classics )
This was took at the end of the main runway,note the key board in the background. mine is the red Cavalier, my mates is the white Sapporo.

Taken going down the main runway by the photographer hanging out of the back of a Mondeo estate at 35 mph

I've got more shots taken of the day and will dig them out.

Bruntingthorpe 08 Sep 2008 21:47 #10

• keithnewsome
  • Thank you received: 2
One of my favourite views of Bruntingthorpe, from inside the supper guppy ! Keith.

This message has an attachment image.

Time to create page: 0.586 seconds