Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Bottesford

Bottesford 09 Oct 2008 20:18 #1

• stevie
  • stevie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 508
I made a return visit to Bottesford this afternoon after several years. It was not possible to get any where near the main airfield site now due to a new security gate set back a fair way from the main enterance which was not there on my previous visits. As Simon said earlier in this post you have to get permission to enter the site now from the airfield owners.
Anyway undeterred i did manage to get permission to take a look around the old communial site from the local farmer so heres some of the pics i took from there.

I had noticed quite a number of buildings on the communial site had dissapeared since my last visit including ymca building parachute store etc. Unfortunatly they've been demolished to make way for a small caravan park :cry:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by stevie.

Bottesford 09 Oct 2008 20:27 #2

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
These hangar shots were taken just outside the airfield near to Normanton village.

It's a shame that it's difficult to get access to Bottesford because i think it's one of the best examples of a second world war airfield around. (as disused airfields go anyway.).Totally understandable though i suppose as it's a very busy industrial site.

Bottesford 09 Oct 2008 20:45 #3

• SimonT
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice pics of the domestic site, I found the farmer is accomodating to a point. He will allow people with a GENUINE interest to photograph what's left of the communal site IF they ask sensibly. Although I must admit, he did seem a bit "stand off-ish" when I spoke to him and I had to do a lot of bowing and scraping first (maybe I just caught him at a bad time). He also said that if his lambs were in there I wouldn;t have been allowed any where near the place, so be wraned.

If you want to photograph the old tower on the airfield, if you ring the Roseland group head office ahead of visiting and ask them nicely they will let you on. HOWEVER it depends on how you ask them. I said I just needed a photograph of the old tower for a website I was doing about airfields in Lincolnshire and the surrounding counties and was very kindly shown around by a nice young lady named Claire. You can probably grab a few shots as you drive on off, but I was asked nicely not to photograph any building that would compromise the privacy of the companies within.

I understand Jerry tried to get on and was refused, however I believe he asked if he could wander round the site with his son (correct me if I'm wrong Jerry). Obviously there was no way they were going to allow that.

Best Wishes
SimonT

Bottesford 09 Oct 2008 21:03 #4

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Cheers Simon,

Thankfully i actually spoke to the farmers misses who was more than happy to let me look around. Quite glad i didn't have to speak to the farmer now lol.

Funnily enough i was speaking to Jerry this afternoon about access to the airfield and he did say they werent to helpfull when he got in touch and a mate of mine never got a reply when he left a voice message for the Roseland group a couple of years ago. The security guard has gave me a number to ring so i'll take your advice mate and make sure i word it right. He did actually try to get in touch with the guy who owns the airfield whilst i was there but he'd just gone home.

It's hard to think that my previous visits there you could just drive in and know one really said anything in fact some of the workers there were chatting to us about the airfields history and about one of the hangars being haunted on our last visit!!!! Anyway i'll give'em a bell probably tomorrow.
Cheers for your help Simon.
Steve
:D

Bottesford 10 Oct 2008 06:02 #5

• dangerousdave
The boss of Roseland group has a house on the airfield. The group is owned by father and two sons John,John jnr and Tony (or it was). The hangers used to store sugar and something I know of but really can't tell for various reasons of security.

The main runway is full of cars waiting for buyers. Although loads of it has been dug up for hardcore.
Also the main road outside is (reputedly) haunted. A Lanc crashed on the main road in Normanton during the war. Prior to the tower being restored there was a lot of (alleged) paranormal activity including lights seen in the tower when there was no electricity. The police were called loads of times but never found anything and the lights were off when they arrived. Mind you, if they're anything like the old bill round here..........it was probably three weeks later!

I have been on the airfield late at night in the past on numerous occassions and it is very spooky when the mist rolls in.

I feel like a right plane spotter now!

Bottesford 16 Oct 2008 01:06 #6

• Visitor
  • Visitor
i also used to work on this site and the area where the cars are on the main runway could be spooky at night as well as a hangar over the road which is run by a pine wood firm.

The company where the cars are is called T2 so if you can find their number and ask them then on the way trough the site you may be able to take one or two pics.

Bottesford 20 Oct 2008 12:43 #7

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 59
When my mate Steve bought a microlight, I would pester him to take me anywhere, even in marginal weather and lighting conditions. These are from a cold day sometime between 1987 and 1990. I gave the original prints to an ex-pilot who talked about his experiences on Radio Nottingham soon after they were taken and have only just found the negs. How can 20 years go by so quickly... I had to spend all this morning scanning them because the pack was unmarked, so, here are five poorish copies.
Apologies for those wires.

Bottesford 29 Oct 2008 16:48 #8

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Some more great pics there Ossington. You can see in the last photo that the Tower is still derelict.

Finally managed to get permission on to the site for myself, CDP, NJR and Jerry after several phone calls to the Roseland Group. Must say they were VERY security concious and werent to keen on us getting to carried away with our cameras but they were happy for us to photograph both the Towers and a couple of other buildings. Heres a few pics i took...

Over the road from the main site where the B1 stands we came across this building. I've no idea what it was used for. It stands next to a toilet block and alongside the Hangar.

...and quite a fair way from the main site stand these buildings which we were informed by the land owner formed a Fuel depot for the airfield. Hopefully there should be more info in NJR's post in the non airfield section regarding this site pretty soon.

Bottesford 31 Oct 2008 13:42 #9

• NJR
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
This is the building next to the B1 that stevie refers to. A very unusual layout inside as you can see from my very basic plan. In the absence of any site plans anyone like to hazard a guess as to it's purpose?

Building

Basic plan, there was actually more partitions than shown.

We wandered if it was some sort of gas training thing, send someone in one end, threw in a gas / smoke bomb and see if they come out the other side! Just guessing though.

NJR

"When you stop remembering you start forgetting"

Bottesford 31 Oct 2008 23:07 #10

• Jerry
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Stevie for the invite, heres a few of my pictures.

Nice to see an intact control tower,with the flag poles and also the ident square still visable:

Also some of the outer buildings too:
The electrical system:

Mr Percy taking a photograph, love the stance Chris:

And the picture he was getting:

And the signature flypast, always when Stevie is with me:

Thanks again Stevie and good to see Chris and Noel again.

Time to create page: 0.389 seconds