Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Kirton-in-Lindsey

Kirton-in-Lindsey 28 Oct 2008 20:36 #1

• WJT
  • WJT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
The future of Kirton-in-Lindsey has been announced:

The Minister for the Armed Forces (Mr. Bob Ainsworth): I am able to inform the House today of the outcome of the Royal Air Force study that has been undertaken to consider the future basing requirements of the Air Surveillance and Control System—ASACS—units.

On 10 January 2008, I announced that RAF Boulmer would be retained as the core site for the ASACS Hub but that we needed to do more analysis to determine the optimum basing solution for the remaining ASACS satellite units.

This work has now concluded, and has confirmed that the relocation of the ASACS satellite units to RAF Coningsby is the best option in operational and financial terms. Therefore, I have decided that, subject to TU consultation, the control and reporting centre—CRC—at RAF Scampton and No.1 air control centre—No.1 ACC—at RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey will collocate at RAF Coningsby. The relocation is due to complete by the end of 2014.

Following the relocation, it is our intention to draw down RAF Scampton to only those facilities deemed necessary to support the RAF Aerobatic Team’s activities within the reserved airspace above the airfield. RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey will be closed once the No.1 ACC has relocated to RAF Coningsby. Service and civilian personnel at RAF Scampton and Kirton-in-Lindsey will be briefed on the progress of the study.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kirton-in-Lindsey 29 Oct 2008 19:28 #2

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 59
I'm glad this post has already started, I feel like I'm taking over!

I don't recall taking any more pictures of this place, either on this, or at any other time. Gliding in progress, sorry.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by netcompsys. Reason: de photobucketed !

Kirton-in-Lindsey 18 Mar 2009 22:01 #3

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 217
We just turned-up at the main gate one thursday afternoon while on my rounds asking if we could photograph their control tower? I explained that we had come along way [ Nr Aylesbury ] and that my neighbour had flown from here doing Fighter Affilation in a Hurricane during the war. All of this being very true !! The gate guard alowed us in... It took us about ten mins or so. As we were walking back to the van a sweaty looking chap and his followers arrived. Who are you he bellowed?? Just taking a few photographs of tour tower..mate ! LEAVE, He said marching towards the gate..... Phew !!! 1998.

This message has attachments images.

The Dead got memorials, The living got time.

Kirton-in-Lindsey 13 Apr 2009 18:50 #4

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 15
Is the dome trainer (I assume AA gunnery?) still here?
Recent photos seem to show it in very good order and near the tower.

James Thomas

Kirton-in-Lindsey 24 Apr 2009 09:00 #5

• JCB
  • Thank you received: 15
By dome trainer, do you mean one for training the Rapier gunners when the Army was there (12 Regt, RA?)?

Kirton-in-Lindsey 18 Mar 2010 18:38 #6

• ianbache
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 83
Hi all
Heres a early image of a 85sqn MK1 Hurricane taken here at Kirton-in-lindsey, another station doomed, time for pics before it goes like others, (closure poss 2014)

This message has an attachment image.

Llanbedr History not to be forgotten!!!!!!!

Kirton-in-Lindsey 20 Feb 2011 14:20 #7

• CDP
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 2
A couple of recent aeriels of Kirton-in-Lindsey (12/02/11)

View looking north-west

View looking north-east

Chris

This message has attachments images.

"We either stand down or blow up - which do you want!"

Kirton-in-Lindsey 21 Feb 2011 20:10 #8

• Barney
  • Thank you received: 21
The RAF unit based at Kirton is 1ACC, which is basically a deployable radar unit, and is parented by Scampton. Most of them walk around in green kit rather than blues as they are a field unit, rather than a base unit. As I understand it.
When I was discussing Kirton with some of the authorites at Scampton there was a rumour there that Kirton may go back to the Army, something to do with Leconfield, sounds bizzare I know. The last I heard was that the RAF were due to move out and pending new accomodation being made ready for Kirton's units at Conningsby, they would be housed at Scampton. This was going to mean some buildings being brought back into use at Scampton. However, I was told all this before christmas before the RAF started sacking pilots, so who knows what their plans are now. Knowing the strange workings of the MoD anything could happen.

Kirton-in-Lindsey 04 May 2011 21:25 #9

• Linton Lad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Was told today by a colluege who works at kirton and he been told there starting to ship things out at a fast pace.
The horse/stables going and station nursery all due to close on june 1st
Looks like the begining of the end

cheers rich

Many thanks from linton lad

come join my facebook group/ raf linton on ouse spotters group

Kirton-in-Lindsey 14 Aug 2011 22:03 #10

• mk89
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

Was at kirton recently. Just wondered if anyone had any info on the SNCO mess. When did it close? Still looks in good condition, especially from the front. Any idea why it shut and no one is located there anymore?

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds