Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Londonderry MCU

Londonderry MCU 07 Jun 2018 14:57 #1

• TerryClark
  • TerryClark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 35
During my ATC camp at Ballykelly in 1963, we spent a day in Londonderry and included in our planned day was a trip on an RAF Rescue launch from the Marine Craft Unit which was there.
It was situated about 200yd north of the A2 bridge (which in those days - don't know if it still is - was double deck with the road on the top deck and railway tracks on the lower deck) and was equipped with one each of the 'standard' rescue launch powered by twin Sea Griffon engines and the newer RTTL.
We had a one hour trip on the former taking us downstream to Lough Foyle and I remember passing several navy ships which were cocooned and moored against the south bank of the River Foyle about 2 miles out of Londonderry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin Henderson, ww2ni, Bloodhound1949

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Londonderry MCU 08 Jun 2018 19:15 #2

• Bloodhound1949
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 62
In 1969 I worked with a chap who had served his National Service with this unit in the late fifties-I remember him telling me that they were issued with Sten Guns and that they taped two magazines together,back to back to ensure a swift changeover...Even then it was very dangerous to be a British serviceman in Londonderry.

Londonderry MCU 12 Jul 2018 18:30 #3

• ww2ni
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi Terry,
The bridge is still double deck but both roads now.

Was the MCU on the Cityside or Waterside of the Bridge?
Was the railway station on the other side?

The whole area is totally changed now.

Andy
http://www.ww2ni.webs.com - History in your grasp!

Londonderry MCU 13 Jul 2018 22:42 #4

• TerryClark
  • TerryClark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 35
So long ago but I don't recall where the railway station was; the MCU was on the opposite side of the river from the city itself.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds