• Page:

TOPIC: Rebel Air Museum

Rebel Air Museum 12 Mar 2009 22:38 #1

• REF
  • REF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 304
Closed ages ago I think martin, not sure where the exhibits ended up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rebel Air Museum 21 Jul 2011 10:13 #2

• CliffS
  • Thank you received: 0
:) Hi All,

I'm Cliff Stone from not-so-sunny (today) Southend.

Introduced to the site by a workmate who is ex RAF.

Main interest through the years has been anything that flies, up to early jets, not so much modern jets and a big interest in the 8th and 9th Airforce.

Involved in my younger years with the Historic Aircraft Museum at Southend, then with a Stan and Dave Brett connection to Duxford, Andrewsfield and finally Earls Colne, produced the newsletter for some years for the Rebel Air Museum.

Spent many happy hours on the old airfields of East Anglia (my cars have been more at home on runways than roads).

Big birthday this year so planning a Mustang flight with Stallion 51 in Florida, can't fly a Spitfire so happy to settle for second best!

Noticed a few folk on here local or with a Rebel Air Museum connection so please say hello.

Cliff

Rebel Air Museum 27 Aug 2011 07:10 #3

• lateagain
Hi Cliff,

I've been trying to find out for some time what happened to the Rebel Air Museum.

I flew into Earls Colne a good few years back and discovered that the Museum was there, but sadly closed at the time of our visit. I was interested as my father’s youngest brother, sadly no longer with us, was a navigator in 39 squadron (RAF) and was one of the few Brits to have served in B26 Marauders. They had previously been equipped with Beaufighters in anti shipping ops it Mediterranean but re-equipped with the Marauders flying tactical bombing missions over Yugoslavia in support of Tito’s forces there. A squadron song mocks their successes by noting the amount of “ploughing” they did by missing the target and hitting fields ;-)

Some years later I phoned the airfield to find out if the Museum was still there and was told that it had folded when its founder had passed away? I often wondered what happened to all the exhibits? In particular I believe there was a nose section of a B26? Now a very rare bird since one of the few preserved examples crashed a few years ago.

Any info much welcomed. Sorry I missed it whilst it was there.

Geoff

Rebel Air Museum 27 Aug 2011 10:33 #4

• lateagain
Found through Google what happened to the Marauder section! http://www.boxted2011.co.uk/museum.html

sadly the "wrong end" for my Uncle as a navigator ;-) ....unless they had "the can" in the tail?

Still wonder what else I missed? Flew in on 27/10/94 according to my log book. It was a big building as I recall compared to Boxted's two Nissan Huts? The Sports leisure Centre at the site next to the Airfield had dozens of excellent paintings of WWII ops mainly USAAF as I recall. Did an excellent coffee too!

Geoff

Rebel Air Museum 15 Jan 2012 11:57 #5

• CliffS
Hi and thanks to those who welcomed me.

Hadn't logged in to the site for a while and was aware that I had not replied to a couple of questions.

The Rebel Air Museum did fold unfortunately after both Stan and Dave Brett passed away, I'm sure there were other reasons of which I am unaware.

It was a great shame as there were a lot of donated items that were specific to the 322nd BG.

I was told that many of the museum exhibits passed to a private museum somewhere on the Earls Colne site, I don't know any more than that I'm afraid.

Had some good times with the RAM at the village hall meetings and getting involved with the reunions (even my border collie was named Rebel)!

Had my Stallion 51 Mustang flight in Florida and it was "awesome"!!

Cliff

Rebel Air Museum 24 Feb 2014 18:39 #6

• Adebot
Hey Guys,

My name is Adrian and I worked as a volunteer at the Rebel Air Museum from late Summer, through the autumn and into early winter of 1989. I was 18 at the time and I helped sand down the concrete floor of, what was then, the new building, helped sort and move exhibits into the building when it was completed and also helped demolish a couple of the caravans where some of the smaller exhibits were stored. My mum came down for a weekender once and helped me tear apart an old caravan (a bonding moment for sure!) and she sign onto the mailing list. Dave sent her newsletters for quite a while and she kept all of them, wondering why they stopped coming.

I'm so sorry to hear that Dave has passed on. I've been out of touch with him since '90 so I only found out today. Even though he was an older guy then, and I should have expected news like this, it's still hard to hear. He was such a special guy and he made a big impression on me at that age. He was the man who introduced me to the Goons and The Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, and he taught me so much about the history of the Air Force. On the weekender my mum came down, I shared a caravan with Dave and Chris and we stayed up till nearly two in the morning, listening to the Bonzo's while they both told stories about the pranks they pulled, the ghosts that walk the airfield and how Gary Numan buzzed the Earl's Colne Airclub's annual barbeque, putting the grill out. Man, I miss those guys.

I see Cliff has posted lower down, and if it's the Cliff I remember I think I met him a couple of times. If it is him, don't confuse me with my friend Tony (we both looked alike, curly hair and glasses. I was the quiet one, well comparatively speaking!).

As I'm sure you can tell, I have some great memories of that short but happy time, but I see I have already written an epic. I was just glad to see all of you guys still interested in finding out about RebAir after all these years.

Thanks for letting me share a few lines.

Rebel Air Museum 05 Apr 2017 16:50 #7

• RAFRochford
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Adrian;

I know it's been years since you posted your response, but I've only just stumbled on this thread!

Dave Brett was only 43 when he died. A real shame and so young, but he didn't survive heart surgery and the museum wasn't quite the same after and that led to it's ultimate demise.

We must have worked together, as I remember painting that floor at Earls Colne and helping to pull those caravans apart! I spent 15 years all in at the museum, and had some great times and made some good friends.

I do still miss it all and it's a shame it had to close.

Best regards;
Steve

Last Edit: by RAFRochford.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds