The National Archives (TNA)

19 Mar 2010 13:58 #41 by RAFMAN733
Replied by RAFMAN733 on topic The National Archives (TNA)
Yeah bunker 13 have contacted TNA at Kew once before about getting the Operations Records Books on CD-ROM. Asked for a quotation but never saw a reply. The original books dating from 1939 - 1946 were in three books. Maybe have to get back on to them for a repeat of the quote they said they were going to give me and never did.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Mar 2010 17:35 #42 by Paul Francis
Replied by Paul Francis on topic The National Archives (TNA)
It might be quicker to walk from Bunker 13 to Kew and spend an hour there photographing the docs then walking back!

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

20 Mar 2010 00:16 #43 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic The National Archives (TNA)
I got a quote of over £700 for a set of maps. I gather the quote system is producing a lot of quotes that never get followed up, probably because the price is unexpectedly high. This may be the reason for them saying no to quotes more often than not.

I don't know how much it would cost to hire a researcher to photograph the whole of an ORB but if you club together it may be worthwhile?

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (Mark Twain)

20 Mar 2010 18:34 #44 by OneEighthBit
Replied by OneEighthBit on topic The National Archives (TNA)

I don't know how much it would cost to hire a researcher to photograph the whole of an ORB but if you club together it may be worthwhile?

It's probably more worthwhile doing that. Last quote I got for an ORB copy was £1500 and I opted to photograph it. I did this just after they started allowing cameras but didn't have the camera stands so I did it by hand with a 5MP hand-held IXUS. All the pictures came out perfectly legible and I managed to get 3 years worth of pages photographed in just a single day on my own.

20 Mar 2010 21:41 #45 by Peter Kirk
I got backache photographing by hand and I had to stand on tip toes to get focused! I always use the stands now.

23 Mar 2010 19:22 #46 by Alan Clark
Replied by Alan Clark on topic The National Archives (TNA)
That's if you can near them for all the other people using them!

I do a mix of hand held and stand photographs whenever I visit.

Alan Clark
Peak District Air Accident Research
www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk

23 Mar 2010 22:19 #47 by Peter Kirk
I always book a table with a stand. Others seem to have a stand table but hardly use the stand. What is annoying is the lack of desk space when those with laptops, cameras and large documents decide to encroach on my space with out asking!

The other thing I noticed is that my old cheap pocket 7mp camera makes very little sound when taking photos but the big digital SLR's make a loud clunk on every shot (yes, I do know it is the mirror) but after 6 hours it starts to grate :twisted:.

Clunk, turn, clunk, turn, clunk, turn, clunk, turn, clunk, turn, clunk, turn, clunk, turn , clunk, turn, clunk, turn, clunk, turn , clunk, turn, clunk, turn, clunk, turn.

31 Mar 2010 20:39 #48 by David Thompson
Replied by David Thompson on topic The National Archives (TNA)
I pinched this from the Air Britain Forum . It may be of interest ? ;

From Tuesday 27 April, The National Archives is introducing a booking system for its car park. Visitors who would like to park in the car park will need to book and pre-pay for a parking space, via a dedicated telephone line or website.
On site parking at The National Archives is limited, and this system will ensure that no-one will drive to the site only to find that the car park is full.
See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/446.htm for more

Ironically from our point of view, the change comes in just before a member of the National Archives staff gives a talk about researching Royal Air Force records, on 29 April!
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/events/raf-29-04-10.htm

This talk has been given before, though, and you can listen to a podcast. Play or download from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/446.htm

Youth is wasted on the young !

15 Apr 2010 18:11 #49 by Paul Francis
Replied by Paul Francis on topic The National Archives (TNA)
I always wondered why the TNA in recent times never had a set of the Air Estimates. Now this has ment that one has to trawl through hundreds of badly-named files to find out when and how much certain new buildings cost or even whole RAF stations, when a simple look at the Air Estimates would have given you all the info you required in the Vote 4 part of the estimate. Turns out today I learn that the TNA had a complete set of Air, Army and Navy Estimates in the Library in the 1990s but the entire stock including many hundreds of other primary source miliitary books were sold to a book shop!

Now correct me if I am wrong, but is this not a scandal? The PRO as it was then is the national archive is it not, therefore why were they selling off primary source material in this way? If I was the AHB I would immediately withdraw all AIR docs and offer them to the RAFM.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

15 Apr 2010 21:25 #50 by Peter Kirk
Sounds like they did a bit of space saving to make way for the Family tree stuff.
I'll also bet they had a committee to decide what to keep and thought the those volumes won't be of interest to anyone!
The trouble is, without knowing the facts it is difficult to pass on blame.

I have been writing to about a dozen local government archives to get copies of plans etc. So far they have all been very helpful and quick, even to the extent of suggesting other files that may be of interest.

What we need is an independant archive of aviatio............... Hmm!

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds