Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: HEADQUARTERS SITE - Bylaugh Hall

HEADQUARTERS SITE - Bylaugh Hall 16 Aug 2012 05:51 #1

• PETERTHEEATER
  • PETERTHEEATER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 342
There is 1946 aerial cover of Bylaugh on the Norfolk E-Explorer web site:

http://historic-maps.norfolk.gov.uk/mapexplorer/

Find the Search box and type in then look at the LH window and scroll down to the 1946 and switch the layer ON.

Blickling is probably covered but I haven't checked.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HEADQUARTERS SITE - Bylaugh Hall 16 Aug 2012 20:07 #2

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 259
I note from our archive that RAFM Hendon has 'Bylaugh Hall 5669/42'.

However I would have thought they would be some expansion after 1942.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

HEADQUARTERS SITE - Bylaugh Hall 16 Aug 2012 20:45 #3

• Shadow1
  • Thank you received: 1
Martin Bowman's book "100 Group (Bomber Support) RAF Bomber Command in World War II" contains the following contemporary description of Bylaugh Hall in 1944.

" It was not a particularly large camp as there were only seven huts for airmen and eight for WAAFs. The officels appeared to be in private billets off the camp and the total complement of the station was approximately 150 of which about ninety worked in Signals"

HEADQUARTERS SITE - Bylaugh Hall 16 Aug 2012 22:03 #4

• WJT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I'm not sure where Martin Bowman got his info from, but I have seen a 1946 photo at the Air Photograph Collection of the Norfolk Museums Service, at Gressenhall, which showed 50 or more Nissen and Single-Brick buildings.

When I was at West Raynham I used to go the Graver and Gill, the hairdressers in Fakenham. Austin Gill was a member of the local history association and on one of my visits he showed me a copy of an auction catalogue for Bylaugh Park, which was held in Norwich in September 1917. The complete park amounted to 8,150 acres and the Hall itself stood in grounds of 736 acres. Swanton Morley aerodrome was built on land formerly part of Bylaugh Park.

HEADQUARTERS SITE - Bylaugh Hall 02 Jul 2016 18:43 #5

• Evelyn
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Even before 100 Group RAF moved in there were already 21 buildings in place. These were adopted, but a lot more buildings were added:

The HQ and Admin offices were housed in the Hall, as were the MLT Section, the Armoury and SAA Store, the Inflammables and other Stores, the Gas Defence Centre, the MT sheds and office. Medical inspection also took place in a room (or rooms) in the Hall.

The Communal site comprised 13 buildings incl the Commanding Officer's quarters, Officers' and Sergeants' messes and dining rooms, the Institute, a Grocery and Local Produce Store, a Ration Store, the WAAF Officers' quarters and baths, ablutions and latrines and RAF ablutions and latrines.

The RAF dispersed site comprised 13 Officers' quarters and associated baths, ablutions and latrines and 23 Sergeants' quarters and associated latrines, showers and ablutions.

The WAAF dispersed quarters comprised 18 Sergeants' quarters and associated baths, showers and a decontamination block.
(Source: Drawing WA7/822/42)

Martin Bowman's information is clearly incorrect.

HEADQUARTERS SITE - Bylaugh Hall 09 Jul 2018 20:16 #6

• Tony H
  • Thank you received: 231
Visited 08/07/18

The main building seems abandoned / semi derelict (certainly at the rear! - possibly following a serious fire a couple of years ago) There are a number of WWII building in very good condition (in use?) close to the main building and clear traces of blast shelters and other buildings succumbing to the undergrowth

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

HEADQUARTERS SITE - Bylaugh Hall 10 Jul 2018 18:21 #7

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 245
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony H

The Dead got memorials, The living got time.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds