Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Deenethorpe

Deenethorpe 04 Aug 2008 22:47 #1

• stevie
  • stevie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 508
Heres a selection of pics i took at the old USAAF Deenethorpe airfield near Corby. It was getting fairly late and the light was fading fast but this really seemed to bring out the atmosphere of this historic place.

The excellent memorial. (Sorry it's a bit dark in the shot above).

The main runway still survives and as you can see it's in really good condition. It was restored back in the 1960's for British Steel who used the airfield to fly in there vip's who visited there Steel works in nearby Corby.Where once B-17 G Flying Fortress's from the 401st Bombardment Group used to rumble down here nowadays slightly more sedate and quieter aircraft take off and land as the runway is used by micro lights and several light civilian aircraft.
Very little remains of the other two runways.
However pretty much all the peri track still survives..
Building and runway lighting control from the 60's steelwork era-

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by stevie.

Deenethorpe 04 Aug 2008 23:05 #2

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
These buildings were all on what would have been the technical site.

So not a huge amount still standing at Deenethorpe but well worth looking over never the less. Perhaps there is more hidden away around the site that i missed but like i said i was racing against the remaining sun light. I was hoping photograph Desborough and Market Harborough's airfields (which is being dug up and built on as we speak) during this outing but it was pitch black by the time i got out of Northamptonshire. Never mind! Next time!!

Deenethorpe 07 Aug 2008 16:54 #3

• NJR
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
a couple of shots of mine taken at Deenethorpe on Weds 6th Aug 2008. I didn't get the buildings, ops block etc as there was some sort of caravan show on. Also where is an access onto the runway that you photographed? Is there any evidence of dispersed sites? Saw the fishing ponds across the road from the memorial, this was clearly a former site but any others?

Cheers.

Deenethorpe memorial.

"When you stop remembering you start forgetting"

Deenethorpe 08 Aug 2008 08:05 #4

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 319
Stevie,

The bomb store was in this area:

www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.50518 ... =0&src="msa "

The HE Bomb Stores x 4 were located around the periphery of the wood with support buildings along the two roads leading up from the perimeter track.

There might be something left to photograph on your next visit especially in the wood.

Peter H

Deenethorpe 08 Aug 2008 15:00 #5

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Noel,

I must say your memorial pics put mine to shame a bit! Lovely shots.

As you drive back towards Corby from the memorial on the A427 a short distance there is a very small enterance on the right to the small flying club. That brings you out on to the peri track which leads you to the club buildings it actually passes straight by the end of the runway.
I actually entered the airfield right on the northern side not to far from Deenethorpe village where the peri track meets the road. Thankfully the farmer there allowed me to follow the whole of the peri track right round passed the ops block etc. I didn't notice much in the way of despersed sites but as i said it was that awkward twilight at the time.

Cheers for that Peter H, I do remember passing that area thinking "I wonder whats in there!!" I'll defitnetly give it a closer inspection on a future visit. Cheers mate.

Deenethorpe 19 Oct 2008 19:58 #6

• Guest_1
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 155
The most direct access onto the airfield is via the end of the peri track where it exits onto the road to Deenthorpe look on Google Earth here 52°30'47.20"N 0°34'39.41"W.

"Gentleman, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

Deenethorpe 24 Oct 2008 15:43 #7

• P Bellamy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 142
Interestingly, while the tower at Deenethorpe was built to 12779/41 and had the smaller windows upstairs and down to 343/43 as built (window sills downstairs in 343/43 position), by the middle of 1944 the windows of the control room were full size again.
Was this a common occurence?

All the best,
Paul

Paul Bellamy
Archive & Collections Manager
ARG Archive, Alconbury

Deenethorpe 25 Oct 2008 20:47 #8

• P Bellamy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I thought I'd best dig the photographs out to make sure I wasn't imagining it. :wink:

December 1943 :

December 1943:

July 1944:

February 1945:

And a couple of shots I took in 1993, just before the tower was demolished, that match some of the above photos.

Control Room:

The "Flying Control" text was added sometime in March or April 1945, as it is visible in a photograph of the VE-Day announcement from the tower balcony.

And as a final photo....

All the best,
Paul

Paul Bellamy
ARG Archive, Alconbury

Deenethorpe 29 Jan 2009 18:44 #9

• P Bellamy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
There are three public rights-of-way crossing the airfield, so access to most of the site isn't a problem.
Alternatively, guided site visits can be arranged via the 401BG Historical Society.

All the best,
PB

Paul Bellamy
ARG Archive, Alconbury

Deenethorpe 29 Jan 2009 19:18 #10

• TommyUSA
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0

P Bellamy wrote: There are three public rights-of-way crossing the airfield, so access to most of the site isn't a problem.

Here's a question that probably has to do mostly with the difference between the way things are done in the USA and the UK...

What are public rights-of-way? Are they paths or roadways? For walking or driving?

From Google Earth, it appears there is access to the peri track from the A427 - but it looks to me that there is a gate. If so, can I open it? If not, how else can I get onto the airfield? I want to get onto (or nearby) the runway.

Thanks,
Tom

Follow my World War II daily tweets at http://twitter.com/Sept1939
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds