Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Druridge Bay

Druridge Bay 11 Jun 2018 08:29 #1

• John Anderson
  • John Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 40
As Northumberland rarely gets a mention. Two unique defence positions at Druridge. Apart from a great beach with dunes there are numerous WW2 remains including pillboxes, tank traps and a markers shelter from the A/G range. Well worth a visit.

A pillbox was built within Lower Chibburn, but this was removed when it was 'tidied up", though two of the embrasures were retained. The ruined cottage pillbox is on the road leading south from Druridge to Cresswell.

I was last there when open cast coal mining (mid 1960's) was threatening Lower Chibburn, glad to see it survived (they wanted to demolish it) and the area has been re-instated, though they then planned to build a nuclear power station there!

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Druridge Bay 11 Jun 2018 09:00 #2

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 374
There are (or were) two wing markers shelters, smaller versions of the main markers shelters. One just to the north of the large markers shelter and another 2.57 miles north of the main shelter. Looking at my notes I see that I haven't plotted the northern main markers shelter, which makes me wonder if it was misidentified. Something to check.

It is remarkable how the land is returned after the huge scar of open cast mining. The only one I have seen is Acklington which was deeper than I could have imagined and now there is no sign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds