Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Syerston

Syerston 21 Apr 2009 12:55 #21

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Fire crews were called out this morning to the former officers mess at 0555 am this morning and were still working to extinguish the flames by 0800. Flames have spread to the roof apparently...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Syerston 21 Apr 2009 18:46 #22

• TOB
  • Thank you received: 0
Following your tip-off Ossington I drove up there this afternoon listening to BBC Radio Nottingham who say that an investigation is underway into the arson attack. When I arrived I must admit that I was expecting a smoking, charred patch of grass and a pile of bricks; but fortunately the majority of the building is still standing and looks the same externally as in the photos by Stevie and Hawkeye.

The main fire damage is to the right (South East) wing where about two thirds of the roof of the wing has collapsed, no rafters left and looks a right old mess (pardon the expression!). Its all taped off with official stripey investigation tape so I guess its the interior that has recieved the most damage. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me this afternoon, so I hope the above description paints the scene for you?

AVIATION ARTIST
www.timobrienart.co.uk

Syerston 21 Apr 2009 19:05 #23

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
As it happens, I was at work when told about the fire. A quick rush home for the camera and...

as Tim said, all the damage (this time) is to the SE wing. Neither chimney stack looks safe though, so expect demolition sooner rather than later & very possibly the rest of it burning down soon too.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by stevie.

Syerston 05 May 2009 13:55 #24

• TOB
  • Thank you received: 0
At last, the Highways Agency have returned my telephone call and email made 5 weeks ago!

In short they have confirmed that they have no intention to demolish the Officer's Mess, but....they are going to bulldoze the squash courts which are only a few yards away at the back! Plus Glebe Cottages over on the airfield side.

So in the short term the building is safe for now.......well until the next arson attack!

AVIATION ARTIST
www.timobrienart.co.uk

Syerston 07 May 2009 10:28 #25

• Praesta
  • Thank you received: 4
It looks very sad. The first time I managed to a-hem "gain entry" there was still evidence of it having been a working Mess. There were four or five Officers SD hats on pegs in the lobby. All of them were fashionably "Old Sweat" and care worn shaped but the mildew rendered them useless! In addition there were several Greatcoat / mackintosh over coats and a copy of the Sun newspaper, when it was still a Broadsheet, on the bar. I wish I'd had the foresight to take photos but sadly not. One amusing part was that on the frosted-glass door of the telephone cubicle in the lobby someone had taken to amending (in Chinagraph) the placard "Speech on this telephone is not secure" to "Speech on this telephone is not possible". Opening the door revealed a tangled mass of wires and pinged jumper cables!

I did manage to rescue a whitewashed clay planter from outside the main door which I still have to this day. On the base there is engraved the legend CVI with IX-XLIII below which I think could be 106 (sqn) September (19) 43. It could be a red herring or a later hoax but I like to think that it saw a bit of history

Omnia Vincit Fiducia

Syerston 11 Aug 2009 20:59 #26

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381

Photo is from Hunting Aircraft Ltd.

I am not sure when the photo was taken as it is not dated on the reverse, however the ref 'PY8363' is on the back.

Closest aircraft is XM421, second closest is XM414 and the next one is XM415

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by stevie.

Syerston 12 Aug 2009 19:11 #27

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
What is that hump in the background?

Syerston 13 Aug 2009 12:35 #28

• Praesta

Ossington_2008;29131 wrote: What is that hump in the background?

It's the Shooting-In Butts - It was across the taxiway from Syerston's only Spectacle type hard standing. I always assumed that the Lancs could be towed round it so both the Front and Rear guns could be tested. There was a more conventional brick-built structure to the rear of the 25 yard range (almost visible in this picture). These butts lasted until around 2004 when for whatever reason it was flattened!

Hope this helps

Omnia Vincit Fiducia

Syerston 13 Aug 2009 16:31 #29

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thank You Praesta! I have always wondered why Syerston had 30 odd frying pans and just the one spectacle.
I had initially thought it might have been a replacement for a frying pan destroyed when that Lanc blew up at dispersal in Dec 42. That said, Gibsons account in "Enemy Coast Ahead" says the duty runway had to be crossed to get to it, (he and "Gus" Walker were at the tower at the time) which puts it on the northish side of the airfield. Does anyone know? I know it was common practice to number dispersals, so it might be recorded somewhere.

Syerston 14 Aug 2009 10:44 #30

• Praesta
If you take a look at Google Earth view of SJ on the northern taxiway. It is, I have been told, the one that protrudes furthest into the airfield. I.E. the second one anti-clockwise from the Northern 16 threshold. Certainly that one is considerably higher than the other pans on the airfield.

Omnia Vincit Fiducia
Time to create page: 0.696 seconds