Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Could everyone please not host their photos on Photobucket.
Our Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket mess please assist them.
Read More...

TOPIC: Syerston

Syerston 02 Nov 2010 09:05 #91

• TOB
  • Thank you received: 0
Pra

I have emailed you the response from EH detailing directions of where/how to start that process. What do you make of it? It looks like there is a glimmer of hope, as long as we can get our heads round it and find enough of that elusive thing called time!

But, it sounds like a long, slow, tedious process though, if a project I became involved in a couple of years ago was anything to go by. I was commissioned by East Midlands Trains to paint a large watercolour of the interior of St Pancras which incorporated an impression of a new gateline/barrier EM Trains wanted to install, but they needed permission from EH. The painting was then used as part of their presentation to EH. From what I gather, there was a mountain of red-tape, but in the end they were successful and the gateline has been installed by what they nickname 'The Angel of the South'.

Meanwhile, lets book that trip down south.

TOB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AVIATION ARTIST
www.timobrienart.co.uk

Syerston 04 Nov 2010 17:24 #92

• TOB
Visited Syerston this morning to deliver some copies of my 2011 Syerston Calendars to the crew at CGS and Soaring Oxford Ltd, who were 'flying the Teapot' today due to the awful weather. Whilst I was there I took these photos of the new hangar that is being constructed on the footprint of Hangar 8 that was recently demolished.

Leaving the airfield I headed up the Fosse to deliver some more calendars to the museum shop at Newark Air Museum and took a photo of the former Syerston control caravan.

Praesta - was it this one that you and Fordy painted by hand one weekend in the mid '80s?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

AVIATION ARTIST
www.timobrienart.co.uk
Last Edit: by stevie.

Syerston 04 Nov 2010 19:47 #93

• davejnr
I've been to Newark a number of times but never seen the old control caravan. Where do they hide it? Yes today was a coffee drinking day, I must have got through a gallon of the stuff. It looks like the tower is safe for the foreseeable future as there is no money in the pot to replace it. Which is great news as for one thing I enjoy working from the tower surrounded by the history

Syerston 04 Nov 2010 20:41 #94

• TOB
Were 'Pot Noodles' also on the menu today Dave?

Apologies for not popping upstairs to say hello this morning, as I had to rush up to Newark, then be back home for 12.30.

At Newark, the caravan is stored by the Avro Ashton fuselage and the Mig outside Hangar 2.

In addition to the museum's Piston Provost and Jet Provost, which both served at Syerston at some point in their respective careers, there are also a couple of Syerston 'artefacts' inside the hangars.

1) You may have seen the Astra cinema sign attached to the museum's new mini-cinema inside hangar 2. It is painted in a retro style onto card, which in turn has been stuck onto hardboard. It was created specially for use in an exercise by Notts Fire Service in 1984 where it was stuck onto the old Astra cinema that was then still standing (I even have a photo of it for the book). In short, it was later donated to the museum, who to this day believe it is a genuine 1940s sign: one day I will have the heart to tell them that it only dates from 1984!

2) Inside Hangar 1, tucked away under cloths behind the Tiger Moth, is the runway landing light control system, a large grey box type thing, that was saved from the skip in the 70s or 80s. Have a word with the staff and they will gladly let you have a look.

AVIATION ARTIST
www.timobrienart.co.uk

Syerston 05 Nov 2010 12:42 #95

• Praesta
  • Thank you received: 4

TOB;59047 wrote: 1) ... In short, it was later donated to the museum, who to this day believe it is a genuine 1940s sign: one day I will have the heart to tell them that it only dates from 1984!

2) Inside Hangar 1, tucked away under cloths behind the Tiger Moth, is the runway landing light control system, a large grey box type thing, that was saved from the skip in the 70s or 80s. Have a word with the staff and they will gladly let you have a look.

Referring to item 1:
TOB - I really think you should correct them on it's provenance sooner rather than later ;-)

and 2:

Glad the mimic got saved. It used to be in NFE store to the North-East of the Met Villa. The apocryphal tale is that it was caried downstairs by John Wynch and Jack Ward!

Omnia Vincit Fiducia

Syerston 05 Nov 2010 14:45 #96

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 242

TOB;59047 wrote: Inside Hangar 1, tucked away under cloths behind the Tiger Moth, is the runway landing light control system, a large grey box type thing, that was saved from the skip in the 70s or 80s...

This sounds fascinating. I wonder when this 'permanent' system was installed, and what was it?

Conflicting info from my records:
1942: Drem. Training Command Electric Flarepath. Beacon Lights.
1944: No Drem installed, but Contact Lighting required.
1970: 'L1' lighting (goosenecks / portable electric).
Graham

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Syerston 06 Nov 2010 12:00 #97

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 242
In my post above (#228 ) I clearly had a senior moment :confused:

The info refers to Newton - not Syerston. I guess I saw TOB's input and assumed it was Newton. Need to get a grip - must read the thread title.

Syerston had Drem Mk.2 as expected, and was earmarked for Contact Lighting. It had Lucero (BABS Mk.2) beam approach. Strangely it's not in the 1970 En Route Supplement. What was its role then?

Graham

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Syerston 06 Nov 2010 20:52 #98

• Praesta
Graham,

Syerston definitely had a CL5B on RW25 when it closed. The works were carried out between 1962 - 65 and are detailed in the ORB for that period. I believe the capital cost was in the region of £65,000. I have a picture of the undershoot, which TOB has currently. I was lucky enough to see a 1969 BINA but can't recall it's content for Syerston. It's interesting what you say about the 1970 En Route Supplement - Syerston closed to flying wef 22 Dec 1969 and LFA 8 closed on 23 Feb 1970. Is there any chance you could scan the Syerston page of the En Route Supplement please - I'd love to see it. I used to have the half-mill out of the PBF in 7 shed which showed Syerstons ATZ along with it's "pundit" dit-dit-dit / dit-da-da-da

Cheers
Ian

Omnia Vincit Fiducia

Syerston 26 Nov 2010 10:01 #99

• Praesta
As the weather is cold at the moment I thought it would be intersting to show the rudimentary attempt at double glazing afforded to us in 1981. This photograph was taken in the met "Villa" section of the 5845/39 Watch Office at Syerston. These windows were on the NE side of the building and, believe me, bore the brunt of some hideously cold gusts over the years I was there. The building, just visible, through the window is the three-bay NFE Store

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Omnia Vincit Fiducia
Last Edit: by stevie.

Syerston 02 Feb 2011 17:42 #100

• rafnewton91
M sister comes to RAF Syerston with 209 sqn atc and she said one of the best things about flying is being in the air beacuse it is so peaceful and you can just relax. She does have a good time here and she does enjoy her trips here. Have got photos but they also use RAF Cranwell so will have to have a sort and I will post them on here.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds