Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: 'RAF Radar Station' on Brown Clee Hill in Shropshire ?

'RAF Radar Station' on Brown Clee Hill in Shropshire ? 13 Jun 2012 19:55 #11

• Guest_1
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 155
Interesting quarry history in the Clee Hills as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'RAF Radar Station' on Brown Clee Hill in Shropshire ? 18 Jun 2012 20:28 #12

• mbale34
  • Thank you received: 0
I can confirm that Clee Hill was a GEE radar transmitter station. It was still operational in 1953-4, when I was stationed there as a telephonist, in charge of the one-man PBX exchange. At times there were only two of us on strength, so we had to operate a 24-hour on-off shift system.
The picture of the concrete building ruins shows the admin block, which housed the telephone exchange next to the guard room on the extreme right of the building. On the far left were the CO's and adjutant's offices.
Malcolm.

Sparky67;80835 wrote: The GEE station is listed as being on a different Clee Hill Canberra - Titterstone Clee Hill.

The site in the photos is on Brown Clee Hill.

These [URL="[URL="http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.47858844674007&lon=-2.5947096415446906&gz=20&oz=10&gt=1"]remains[/URL] are a hundred metres or so away from the building but may have been associated with the mine railway rather than WW2 - unless anyone knows different ! The photo was taken looking north.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

When I first visited the radio station on this hill in the mid-70s the burnt remains of a Wellington were still visible close by, including a complete u/c leg with wheel sticking out of a pool.... I had difficulty yesterday locating the area where the most of the remains once were.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.464 seconds