Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Andover - No.131 Signals Unit.

Andover - No.131 Signals Unit. 09 Jun 2014 20:20 #1

• Carnaby
  • Carnaby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 243
Looking for the precise location of 'RAF Andover', 90 Group, No.131 Signals Unit.

Described in 1955 as an MF/DF station in standard timber building, plus timber guard and rest hut. There was a brick and concrete engine house with 8 HP Blackstone generator.

It was near Penton Grafton, 4.5m west of Andover, and from the description could be '1 mile away' from the village.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Andover - No.131 Signals Unit. 10 Jun 2014 21:07 #2

• HF Dave
  • Thank you received: 8
Old maps start to show a small enclosure with a couple of buildings from c. 1940, just NW of Penton Mewsey and SE of Horse Croft Copse. Gone from the maps by c. 1970. I wonder if this is the site?

Somewhere near NGR SU 325 478

Andover - No.131 Signals Unit. 11 Jun 2014 06:41 #3

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 319

Andover - No.131 Signals Unit. 11 Jun 2014 10:33 #4

• Carnaby
That site was my guess too, but it's less than half a mile from the village centre - doesn't fit in with 'a mile away'.

Couldn't find anything else.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Andover - No.131 Signals Unit. 11 Jun 2014 14:25 #5

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Pity there's no visual confirmation. 1 mile or half a mile. As you know records are often wrong. The most common, in my experience, is giving the incorrect direction, west instead of east and east instead of west! Rarely a north/south error. The US Army records for UK WW2 usually record incorrect distances of a site from a well known village or town or perhaps they didn't use the centre of the town as the base!
Anyway, one of our radio/signals posters will surely confirm very soon when they spot the thread.

Andover - No.131 Signals Unit. 14 Jun 2014 20:12 #6

• HF Dave
I have spoken to someone who lives in Penton and they have confirmed the location we suspected. More info to follow.

Andover - No.131 Signals Unit. 04 Jul 2014 19:08 #7

• HF Dave
Information received from local resident Rod Eggington:

I can confirm that your location of the station is correct... The station was built in the late 1930s and there were four wooden masts and a couple of wooden huts, one had a brick blast wall built around it, about a metre out. There was also a large Nissan Hut, and a Brick Generator shed.

My Father ran the M/T section at RAF Andover - it was his job to maintain the generator. The Station was on high ground and could be seen from the Control Tower at RAF Andover about a mile away. I can remember seeing RAF lorries entering the site , I would think it closed about 1952-54. This is when the masts came down.

In later years it was used by local teenagers who had a skiffle group to practice, then two or three families lived in the huts. The farmer then used it to keep pigs in. The base was broken up in the 1980s.

Andover - No.131 Signals Unit. 04 Jul 2014 21:26 #8

• Carnaby
Excellent Dave - another tick in the box !

Andover - No.131 Signals Unit. 05 Jul 2014 07:49 #9

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Dave. I have visions of the wartime occupants complaining "This place isn't fit for pigs to live in" but it seems that, post-war, the standard changed:)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds