Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Cottesmore

Cottesmore 09 May 2008 13:33 #1

• Stevo
  • Stevo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi

Does anyone have a plan of this airfield before it was rebuilt for the V-force in the 60's.

Just interested to know what it looked like originally, much of the old taxiways can still be seen in google earth, but some are completely gone.

Thanks

Stevo ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cottesmore 15 Dec 2009 11:19 #2

• AiXAdmin
  • Thank you received: 1
"The BBC understands RAF Cottesmore in Rutland faces closure, with the Harriers based there moving to RAF Wittering before being phased out of service altogether earlier than planned.

The Tornado force based at RAF Lossiemouth and RAF Marham in Norfolk will lose one squadron and it is thought parts of RAF Kinloss, in Moray, could be mothballed."

Should know more after Def Sec speaks this afternoon.

Cheers
Dave

Cottesmore 15 Dec 2009 15:45 #3

• WJT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Cottesmore 15 Dec 2009 17:36 #4

• dangerousdave
  • Thank you received: 0
Apparently the MOD are shutting it down to save £1.5 Billion to fund 22 new Chinooks for Afghanistan in 2014.
Perhaps if thay did't give dodgy bankers £845 Billion to pay for their f*ck ups then Cottesmore could stay open.
But then again if they weren't giving £48 million per DAY to the EU, the country wouldn't be in the state that it is in either.
Whilst I'm on a roll..............I see Gordon spent a night in Afghanistan. Does he really think that troops, who he neglected and whose lives he risked through poor equipment are suddenly going to think he's a nice chap and vote for him in the election?????

Cottesmore 17 Dec 2009 21:09 #5

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 508
The Harriers (all 74 of them) are to leave Cottesmore next April however the base will still be in use by the RAF until 2013 due to the lack of accomadation at Wittering. So all those that live on base at Cottesmore will be staying there for some time yet.
I got this info from tonights edition of the Leicester Mercury.

Steve

Cottesmore 23 Dec 2009 16:25 #6

• XL565
Hi all,

Would anyone know about the WWII Hangar at Cottersmore- ie. The type and dimensions-

I was told it was a T4 type, but I may be wrong.

Thanks,

Tom

Cottesmore 23 Dec 2009 20:54 #7

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 367
Not sure about being a T4 but I suspect it would have been added for glider storage mid war. Christmas has blocked access to my book cupboard so I can't check. No doubt someone will be able to answer more accurately.

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Cottesmore 24 Dec 2009 06:24 #8

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 319
Cottesmore opened in 1938 and the original hangars are the four Type C. There is also a T2 hangar which was probably added during the war or post-war.

You can search the threads on Hangars in AiX for details of appearance (images) and dimensions.

Cottesmore 24 Dec 2009 16:42 #9

• XL565
Thanks for the replies.
As far as I'm aware it is of a 'nissan type construction'- and it would fit about 4 aircraft in. I will try and get some more accurate details over hte next week.

Merry Christmas,

Tom

Cottesmore 24 Dec 2009 19:50 #10

• bvs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
I was based at cottesmore 1972-75,the T2 Hangar at that time was being used as the MT section.
I remember going to pick up our Douglas tractor from there one winters morning with a hell of a hangover,in those days diesels did not start well in cold weather,so there was a trolley acc kept in the Hangar to help.This particular morning I wondered why the old girl absolutely leapt into life very quickly...when I went to disconnect the trolley acc I saw that I had not changed it from 24volts to 12v...oh well didnt seem to harm it LOL
24v was used for some of the bigger trucks.

merry xmas baz

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds