Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Cottesmore

Cottesmore 28 Dec 2010 23:43 #91

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 532
Off the top of my head i know you can see the old tower in the background in a couple of photographs in the 'Airfields of the Ninth then and now' and 'Airfields of Leicestershire and Rutland' books. Neither are perticulary revealing shots of it though. There must be much closer up pics of it out there i'm sure!

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cottesmore 28 Dec 2010 23:55 #92

• hydealfred
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3

Cottesmore 29 Dec 2010 15:31 #93

• cbrjock
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 6
Richard, from what I gather a WRAF in ops was kicking the idea about but someone higher up has knocked it on the head! I live in hope so am still watching with interest.

Pete

Cottesmore 14 Jan 2011 10:05 #94

• TOB
  • Thank you received: 0
Unfortunately it looks as though no Harriers will be flying out of Cottesmore. I have heard a story down the grapevine that any going for preservation will have to leave by road instead, and as for the potential sale of the rest to another air force, I gather the good 'ol US of A has allegedly blocked a potential sale to a foreign air force. Now the remainder will be reduced to spares for the Americans to use - allegedly!

AVIATION ARTIST
www.timobrienart.co.uk

Cottesmore 14 Jan 2011 10:39 #95

• tamiya monkey
I do hope more go to museums, rather than just stripped for parts, its a real shame whats happened.

Cottesmore 14 Jan 2011 21:52 #96

• Smoggieboy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 92
Think it was late 50's, early 60's, when I was there we tried to find pics of the old tower but we were not successful !!

Cottesmore 14 Jan 2011 23:43 #97

• TOB
Yep, piccies of the first tower seem fairly rare Smoggieboy. Stevie has managed to find a couple of wartime shots in two books, but the tower is in the distance; even though it gives me a rough idea of its basic wartime box-like appearance, it would be nice to see a more close-up shot.

The reason for asking is that I have painted an oil painting (see attached photo) that I am turning into a special limited edition print for the Air Traffic Control Squadron to sell at their disbandment dinner next week (the event is advertised on Facebook). The sale of the 50 copies in this special edition will help raise funds for BLESMA, the Limbless Veterans charity, which is the ATCs chosen charity for the night.

At the bottom of this special edition print by the text are two pen drawings I have drawn of the exterior and the radar room. As a sequel to this special edition, I am considering reprinting the painting as a more open edition with different pen drawings. It would be nice to include one of the wartime tower, hence the reason for asking.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

AVIATION ARTIST
www.timobrienart.co.uk
Last Edit: by stevie. Reason: Fixed broken photo attachment

Cottesmore 15 Jan 2011 10:20 #98

• SAPPER
Great painting Tim, i love the orange dayglow 'Z'ulu sticker on the clock, it captures the naffness of the period a treat, just needs a Squadron zap sticker stratigically placed to keep the viewer focused on the hidden detail.

Cottesmore 15 Jan 2011 12:56 #99

• Smoggieboy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 92
Love the painting, the detail is amazing, I was posted there 25 years ago this week ! But it was when there was proper aircraft, not big hairdriers !!!

Cottesmore 15 Jan 2011 13:04 #100

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 52
I have never seen a clock in a control tower in the RAF without the dayglo Z on it, although being pedantic there is no need for it.

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds