Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: 640 Squadron

640 Squadron 19 Oct 2016 12:44 #1

  • netcompsys
  • netcompsys's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3386
  • Thank you received: 569
640 Squadron flew Halifax III out of Leconfield in Bomber Command during 1944 and 1945

The principal memorial is at the Hengate Gardens in Beverley which was funded by the now defunct squadron association
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/y...adron-memorial#68113

The squadron is also commemorated at the former RAF Leconfield
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/y...at-normandy-barracks

In St Catherines Church Leconfield
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/y...at-normandy-barracks

and in St Marys Hengate

plus some memorabilia on a wall at Elvington

My father served as a Navigator on Dick English's crew, completing 37 operations



I run a group, now mainly for relatives of squadron members, and would welcome contact from anyone who has a direct interest in the squadron

Thanks

Kevin

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kevin
Last Edit: by netcompsys.

640 Squadron 20 Oct 2016 09:40 #2

  • IanDDavidson
  • IanDDavidson's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 560
  • Thank you received: 81

netcompsys wrote: 640 Squadron flew Halifax III out of Leconfield in Bomber Command during 1944 and 1945

The principal memorial is at the Hengate Gardens in Beverley which was funded by the now defunct squadron association
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/y...adron-memorial#68113

The squadron is also commemorated at the former RAF Leconfield
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/y...at-normandy-barracks

In St Catherines Church Leconfield
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/y...at-normandy-barracks

and in St Marys Hengate

plus some memorabilia on a wall at Elvington

My father served as a Navigator on Dick English's crew, completing 37 operations



I run a group, now mainly for relatives of squadron members, and would welcome contact from anyone who has a direct interest in the squadron

Thanks

Kevin




Kevin: I know this is a bit of a cliche but the officer holding the dog does look so very young.

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

640 Squadron 20 Oct 2016 10:36 #3

  • netcompsys
  • netcompsys's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3386
  • Thank you received: 569

IanDDavidson wrote:

netcompsys wrote: 640 Squadron flew Halifax III out of Leconfield in Bomber Command during 1944 and 1945

The principal memorial is at the Hengate Gardens in Beverley which was funded by the now defunct squadron association
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/y...adron-memorial#68113

The squadron is also commemorated at the former RAF Leconfield
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/y...at-normandy-barracks

In St Catherines Church Leconfield
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/y...at-normandy-barracks

and in St Marys Hengate

plus some memorabilia on a wall at Elvington

My father served as a Navigator on Dick English's crew, completing 37 operations



I run a group, now mainly for relatives of squadron members, and would welcome contact from anyone who has a direct interest in the squadron

Thanks

Kevin




Kevin: I know this is a bit of a cliche but the officer holding the dog does look so very young.

Ian


That is the pilot, Dick English, he would have been about 21 when this photo was taken. My father would have been nearly 25, the old man of the crew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kevin

640 Squadron 20 Oct 2016 18:06 #4

  • PETERTHEEATER
  • PETERTHEEATER's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 9494
  • Thank you received: 319
Nice photograph of a happy crew.

The Corporal tradesman (kneeling third from left) is holding what was formally described as 'Screwdriver, Cabinet Handle 6 inch' a universal tool for removing straight-slot screws securing aircraft panels and 'stabbing' quick release latches. Riggers and plumbers were born with these in their right hands :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by PETERTHEEATER. Reason: Spelling

640 Squadron 13 Nov 2016 22:45 #5

  • netcompsys
  • netcompsys's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3386
  • Thank you received: 569

PETERTHEEATER wrote: Nice photograph of a happy crew.

The Corporal tradesman (kneeling third from left) is holding what was formally described as 'Screwdriver, Cabinet Handle 6 inch' a universal tool for removing straight-slot screws securing aircraft panels and 'stabbing' quick release latches. Riggers and plumbers were born with these in their right hands :)


The ground crew in the front I have named as
Tom, Bill, Jack, Blondie, Les, Lofty

So the Corporal with the big screwdriver is Jack

kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kevin

640 Squadron 04 Jun 2017 17:20 #6

  • netcompsys
  • netcompsys's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3386
  • Thank you received: 569

netcompsys wrote:
My father served as a Navigator on Dick English's crew, completing 37 operations



Very pleased to report that I was able to visit with Jock Sturrock, the Flight Engineer in my Dads crew, and on the left standing in this photo, last month

kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kevin
Last Edit: by netcompsys.

640 Squadron 11 Nov 2017 16:23 #7

  • netcompsys
  • netcompsys's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3386
  • Thank you received: 569
With the passing of Bill Norman, the squadron historian and author of "Halifax Squadron" earlier this year, his widow has passed on his archive of material to me for safekeeping.

Some items, in particular some audio recordings of interviews with squadron members, is being passed on to the IBCC at Lincoln.

kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kevin
Last Edit: by netcompsys.
  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  
EU Cookie Directive Module Information