Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: No 54 MU

No 54 MU 14 Jul 2017 21:38 #1

• bloodhound
  • bloodhound's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Elements of No 54 MU were based at North Coates between 1953-56 for the purpose of recovering aircraft for spares and scrap. However there seems to be no reference of this in any publication other than Bill Taylors Airfield Focus history and the RAF welcome booklet issued to new recruits. Wickepedia does not show 54MU at North Coates at any time either as a lodger unit or otherwise. The Web site UK Serials does not mention 54 MU other than at Cambridge early post war. There is no doubt however that their tenure at North Coates was real. I was given an engine plate from an Airspeed Oxford that the unit scrapped there and a photograph of a Meteor on its belly in a field near Strubby that was recovered to there. These were given to me by an ex serviceman based at North Coates who was one of the recovery team. He also told me of a Tiger Moth which was dumped at North Coates after crashing somewhere in Lincolnshire.
He could not recount the other types, just those as for some reason they stuck in his memory.
An elderly gentleman only a fortnight ago recounted the days as a 10 year old he and his pals would sneak through a hole in the fence to play in the various dumped aircraft although he has no idea what types they were.
So without doubt 54MU were definitely there so why no record ?
Can anybody add to the list of aircraft ending their days at North Coates. I am aware by the way of Churchills York ' Avalon', the fuselage at least and a Hastings fuselage in the 1960s and much later a Meteor fuselage behind one of the hangars. None of these were anything to do with 54 MU during the 50s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No 54 MU 14 Jul 2017 22:42 #2

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 243

bloodhound wrote: So without doubt 54MU were definitely there so why no record ?

Post WWII 54MU reformed at Rufforth until March 1953 when it moved to Winthorpe.
On 9 September the unit relocated to North Coates until July 1956 when it moved to Hucknall before disbanding in November 1957.
Source: Sturtivent et al

You will find details fo the unit in the Operations Record Book held in TNA AIR29/2037 (1/7/52 to 31/10/57) entitled ORB No.54 MU Rufforth and other locations.

Hope this helps

I guess this thread needs relocating to Lincolnshire / Non Airfield Sites (even though NC was an airfield - confusing or what?)

Moved to Squadrons, Units, Groups Wings - kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.
Last Edit: by netcompsys. Reason: typo on date
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds