Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: A 94 year old challenge for anyone from Sussex! (for 78 Sqn RAF)

A 94 year old challenge for anyone from Sussex! (for 78 Sqn RAF) 16 Oct 2011 18:35 #1

• Tony H
  • Tony H's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 231
Evening All

In early 1917, 78 (HD) Sqn RFC moved to new Headquarters in Hove, Sussex - now East Sussex (just!)

I am not aware of any airfield in the Hove area - despite a mid air fatal collision over the town on 22/5/17 involving two aircraft from B Flt at Telscombe Cliffs

I believe that, like our first HQ in Kent*, this could have been a non airfield location or in other words a large country (or in this case - town) house somewhere in Hove itself . . . .

* Stede Court, Harriestsham was also the HQ for the RFC in Kent and linked to the later airfield at Frinstead . . .

By the September of 1917, 78 Sqn had moved en masse to Sutton Farm, Essex

Having posted this puzzle on several dedicate WWI sites, I had a response from Canada stating that between July - Sept 1918 (so after 78 Sqn had left Hove) that the HQ of 60 (Training Wg) RAF was at No 3 Palmeria Square, Hove . . . .

Could this site ALSO have been a base for RFC assets as well or is this just complete coincidence, and 78 Sqn were HQ'd at a as yet unknown site in the town ??

Grateful for any response - and if possible before the 1st November !

Kind Regards

Tony H
78 Sqn
RAF Benson

78 (Bomber) Sqn RAF will be 95 years old on Tue 1st November 2011.
78 (Home Defence) Sqn RFC was formed at Stede Court, Harrietsham, Kent on Wed 1st Nov 1916

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Carnaby. Reason: Title corrected
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds