Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: 42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group

42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group 10 Apr 2013 09:37 #91

• ted angus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 41

T-21;101405 wrote: I would welcome any details/photos of Dodge trucks from a French contract used by the RAF as oxygen replenishing on Bomber Command stations during World War Two.

Just putting the finishing touches. Most pictures show the oxy trucks with the bottle necks to the front, but there is a part shot of one with the necks to the rear in the Wheels of the RAF book by Robertonson; so I have followed that setup.

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group 11 Apr 2013 13:40 #92

• T-21
  • Thank you received: 2
Ted , Fantastic is that 1/76th scale ? Particularly like the real photo of the departing Lancaster and the assortment of vehicles . Many thanks.

42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group 11 Apr 2013 14:16 #93

• ted angus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes 1/76th, the Dodge truck was from Millicast, But I had to remake the chassis to get the right flatbed hieght the flatbed and cylinder set are from the BW Austin K6 hydrogen cylinder kit. The regulator box from the spares box, the curled pipes - florist wire. the cylinder clamps from plasticard. A real variety in the 1945 shot, 3 Bedford QL troopers which could be built straight from the Airfix box, A commer pre heater van towing the runway caravan availible from MMS. The Tillies are Hillmans,

TED

42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group 12 Apr 2013 08:04 #94

• T-21
Ted, Thanks for the description. The Lancaster KB721 served at RAF Middleton-St-George now Teeside Airport. It flew back to Canada 2.6.45 coded VR:E,419 Squadron. Ted, we need a book on Modelling RAF Vehicles. I have the excellent PSL Gerald Scarborough book but it needs updating and expanding as their is a greater interest in this field .

42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group 12 Apr 2013 09:52 #95

• ted angus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T-21. Yes the station was out in force to wave good bye for its trip accross the pond. I published on both the WW2 National fire service and the post 1948 AFS/CD etc for months they took over my life; Since I left the RAF in 2004 I don't know how I found time to go to work ?? If I live to 130 I might complete about 50% of my current modelling projects and stash so afraid no book from me. Then I have my 1964 ex AFS Austin Gipsy and my 1943 Climax trailer pump ; never enough hours !
you are near Bedford I was born & bred in Sundon Park any where near you. ??

TEd

42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group 12 Apr 2013 13:13 #96

• T-21
Sundon Park is part of Luton to the north . It is now one big housing estate. You must have happy memories of Luton airport ?
In the Lanc photo I could also make out a Humber brake utility,Commer lorry and Dodge 62 carrier. Very interesting amount of vehicles in one photograph.

42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group 12 Apr 2013 14:39 #97

• ted angus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes to the north, aged about 11 I used to cycle to Luton Airport and stay the day It was a hard slog but great fun, that would be 1960, before that my Dad would take me on the bus. Yes lots of MT in that shot by Commer you will mean Karrier Bantam ?
TEd

42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group 12 Apr 2013 17:51 #98

• Able Mabel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 28
Nice collection Ted,
I to require more hours in the day.
Nice shot of the gathering of staff as the lancs departed for Canada, you dont often see a collection of vehicles in many photos, maybe just one or two.
Did the bedford OY (OX?) have the same flatbed for Oxygen ?

Ian

42 (Aviation Oxygen) Group 12 Apr 2013 21:01 #99

• ted angus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Ian the OY seems to have just used the normal GS body minus the side& tail boards, I think the Dodge platform was tailor made as the original body platform was very high ?/

I have now seen several pics of the Dodge but only one of a Bedford OY and only one of an Austin K6 hence my choice.
regards TED

Time to create page: 0.391 seconds