Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
There has been a change to the forum, introducing a new “Forum Member” subscription membership category. This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...

TOPIC: Dambusters Discussion Thread

Dambusters Discussion Thread 21 May 2008 19:33 #1

• SimonT
  • SimonT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Just posting this news article here as I saw this today and thought it may be of some interest.

From The Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ghter.html

A "war hero" who fooled a Government minister into believing he flew with the Dambusters had been exposed as a fraud.

Eric Jephcott's claims have been shot down in flames by his own daughter who said her father was a "fantasist and a fool".

And he even enthralled shadow Tory Finance Minister Angela Burns, at the Welsh Assembly, with his stories of derring-do as the tail gunner on the Lancaster flown by Guy Gibson.

Sporting a RAF unfiform, Eric, now 84, told how he flew 38 missions over Germany and was shot down twice.

And he explained: "I lost a lot of good friends and that's why I never go to reunions, it brings back too many bad memories."

But his daughter has come forward to say he spent the war as a gardener - labelling him a fantasist and saying he had never flown in his life.

"He is a sad old fool," Heather Randell said yesterday.

"My dad is a fantasist and a complete fraud. I believe in honesty and I don't like the idea of the way it looks on the family.

"Anybody could come up with a yarn like that but it is a desecration to the men who did the mission and those who died.

'I don't think he even picked up a gun - unless it was at the fairground."

Eric was celebrated as a hero when he suddenly turned up to join a welcome party for a Spitfire as it landed in Pembrokeshire, west Wales, to be restored at a cost of £600,000.

He lined up with dignitaries for photographs and explained all about the Dambusters raid.

Ms Burns said afterwards, "This is rather a sad tale but I was taken in by Mr Jephcott.

"The welcoming of the Spitfire was an important day and it's a pity that his actions may overshadow the true heroes who flew during the war."

Oh dear!! :shock:
Best Wishes
SimonT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dambusters Discussion Thread 21 May 2008 19:42 #2

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Oh dear indeed.

Dambusters Discussion Thread 15 Jun 2008 22:09 #3

• dangerousdave
Tuesday 8pm on Channel 5. It looks really good and not one I have seen before. It follows Johnny Johnson as they find his crashed Lanc in France. I am at work and have no DVD or Video recorder. Is there ANYONE on here who could record it for me as I am at work on a last minute shift change. :evil:
Please, Please, Please. :D

Dambusters Discussion Thread 16 Jun 2008 08:45 #4

• jason
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 56
consider it done

Dambusters Discussion Thread 16 Jun 2008 10:54 #5

• dangerousdave
Cheers matey. I'll pm you later in the week.

Dambusters Discussion Thread 17 Jun 2008 20:59 #6

• jason
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Taped it for you Dave, for the rest who have seen it where were the shots of the tower and huts taken in the recon scene of when they got out of the back of the truck, a very well done documentary. A 1st for Channel 5 !

Dambusters Discussion Thread 17 Jun 2008 21:43 #7

• David Thompson
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 293
The tower was certainly Elvington and I think the rest too plus of course the Lanc at East Kirkby .
Youth is wasted on the young !

Dambusters Discussion Thread 17 Jun 2008 23:30 #8

• dangerousdave
Cheers Jason. I rang you up to remind you about it..............but it wasn't your number I called. It was one of the other anoraks from Scampton last weekend. Is it on next week as well or was it a one off?

Dambusters Discussion Thread 18 Jun 2008 09:28 #9

• jason
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
It's a one off about the Dambusters, i'll PM you with my number.

Dambusters Discussion Thread 18 Jun 2008 10:02 #10

• Spitfire
A good programme and very moving at times, I believe it was Elvington as well

Jim

Time to create page: 0.684 seconds