Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Dambusters Discussion Thread

Dambusters Discussion Thread 19 Aug 2014 22:50 #171

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 243

John Anderson;149107 wrote: As I understand it the delivery method with back spin was in order that the bomb would end up as close as possible to the dam wall. The subsequent explosion and shock wave generated via the water would then weaken the dam wall and cause it to fail. It was expected to take several bombs to achieve this at each target.

In the film Wallis says, 'I had hoped one bomb would do it'. This must be based on fact.

The bomb used at the Nant-y-Gro dam in the Elan Valley was one fifth of the size of Upkeep as Wallis had calculated the relative ratios of the two dams. It did the job.

I guess the bottom line was that the detonation had to take place at exactly the right place for maximum effect. It seems that the first bomb (Gibson's) exploded when it hit the second of the two anti-torpedo nets.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Dambusters Discussion Thread 20 Aug 2014 08:25 #172

• John Anderson
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
In Brickhill's "The Dam Busters". Wallis and Harris at their first meeting.

Harris eyed him stonily. "Maybe," he said. "You really think you can knock a dam down with that thing?"

"Yes," Wallis said. "Or it may take three or four. We can put them all in the same place."

Dambusters Discussion Thread 11 Sep 2014 11:07 #173

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 52
The actor Bill Kerr died the other week, he played Mickey Martin in the film. By my reckoning the only actor from the film still alive is John Fraser, he played Hopgood.

Dambusters Discussion Thread 11 Sep 2014 11:43 #174

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 367
Tony Hancock made a reference to Bill's part in the film in one of the Hancock's Half Hour programmes. Bill was a regular in the radio series and I can't remember if it was scripted or unscripted but I think it was a reference related to Bill's absence from the programme.

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Dambusters Discussion Thread 11 Sep 2014 20:02 #175

• SimonGee
  • Thank you received: 1
As Hancock had a very poor retentive memory when it came to scripts, the reference to Bill Kerr's part in the film was almost certainly within the script. His 'script memory' was one of Hancock's weaknesses; if a fellow actor began ad libbing, it really scared Hancock, as he had to stick to the lines he'd learned.

Dambusters Discussion Thread 08 Apr 2015 15:52 #176

• retiree
  • Thank you received: 1

DG1;8577 wrote: Could still be a bit tricky.

Reminds me of the time I was walking my dogs, "Blackie" and "max" one sunday morning along a road with a wood bordering the road in deepest rural Norfolk, and dogs being dogs decided to investigate the wood.
After a while "Max" came back but "Blackie" was nowhere to be seen. So there I am shouting at the top of my voice. "Blackie Blackie here! Then suddenly there appeared out of the wood a dark skinned couple with their children who had been out for a sunday walk. I think I asked them if they had seen my dog, guess my face was red though :oops:
The Damm dog did not come back till after they had gone.

Yeh !! I had a completely Black Labrador, being a big Dambuster fan I should have called her "Nigger" in the end I called her "Bess" as in Dick Turpin's Horse. Chicken springs to mind

Dambusters Discussion Thread 08 Apr 2015 16:46 #177

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
As I have mentioned before the dog was in fact brown not black, and he wasnt a full Labrador.

Dambusters Discussion Thread-an Upkeep leak? 03 May 2018 17:07 #178

• John Anderson
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
The 75th anniversary of the raid is later this month and this letter was in Leo Lane's paperwork. I cannot find his reply to Barnes Wallis. Boddington who is mentioned was the MI5 officer responsible for Upkeep and Highball security during the weapons trials.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Dambusters Discussion Thread-an Upkeep leak? 15 May 2018 15:14 #179

• Graham Yaxley
  • Thank you received: 2
www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/heart-stop...ihmE?ocid=spartandhp

An interesting account on MSN.
Why did they include a photograph of a group of personnel in font of a Stirling? Does anyone recognise the photograph?
Graham

Dambusters Discussion Thread-an Upkeep leak? 18 May 2018 15:00 #180

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The Lancashire post had an article about Upkeep on Wednesday, they were filled at Chorley ROF. The article said that 120 were made but only 58 were filled.

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds