Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: 705 Mobile Signals Unit

705 Mobile Signals Unit 04 Jun 2018 16:36 #31

• RichardHarris
  • Thank you received: 5
I really don't recall what happened to it. but it was certainly a mesh, it was badly corroded with verdigris and it was big I seem to see it as at least 15+ feet square. It wasn't ridgid but was definitely a net. and buried directly under where the transmitter tower would have been.

I would have thought chicken wire wouldn't have lasted very long, perhaps a year or two in the ground so that doesn't sound very useful., This was probably buried in the war years.

I don't know what was mounted on the towers but always assumed it was the VHF and UHF aerials for Coningsby, it was quite normal for the transmitter site to be some way away from the air field and separate from the receiver site. The buildings in 1972 were very extensive, comprising a large crew rest room, a huge workshop big enough to pull a lorry into.with a large lister (i think) diesel generator in it. There was an admin office and the Co's office. as well as toilet and kitchen.

There were either extensions made to the original building or the building had other purposes because most transmitter halls are maybe 15 feet square or the building was new for the signals unit.

For a simple transmitter site the site was fairly extensive as well, about an acre in extent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER, 698

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds