Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: 77 Squadron

77 Squadron 05 Jan 2013 01:39 #1

• Jen_91
  • Jen_91's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all.

I am currently undertaking research for my undergraduate dissertation, looking into social interaction between bomber crews and the local population surrounding Bomber Command bases during the Second World War, with a focus on squadrons based in Yorkshire - particularly No. 77 Squadron at RAF Elvington.

I am interested in any knowledge anyone may have concerning RAF Elvington during the war years, and any ways in which the service personnel based there interacted with the local civilian population. This interaction could be religious events, dances, marriages between service personnel and members of the local community, trips to local places, film screenings etc.

While I am primarily interested in examples relating to RAF Elvington, I would be grateful for any information anyone may have concerning such interaction at any Bomber Command base in Yorkshire.

Thanks,
Jenny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

77 Squadron 05 Jan 2013 18:47 #2

• Ray
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Jen - Have a look in Betty`s Tea Rooms in York. In the basement is a mirror engraved with the signatures of dozens of bomber crews who frequented the cafe during the war.(You may have to save a week`s allowance if you want to take tea there but it is worth it .)

77 Squadron 06 Jan 2013 22:20 #3

• Jen_91
Hi Ray. Thanks for responding.

I have heard about the Betty's mirror, but I'm afraid that my lowly student budget will not stretch to taking tea there! I have done a bit of internet digging, and I managed to find a site which details names and squadrons of all those who have signed the mirror, so no need for me to shell out a fortune to get this information!

Jenny.

77 Squadron 15 Jan 2013 17:57 #4

• iain510
I'm sure I have some photos of the mirrors taken a couple of years ago. Quality might be a touch iffy, but I will post them up, or send them if anyone wants.
Cheers
Iain

77 Squadron 25 Jan 2013 01:41 #5

• Jen_91
Hi Iain. I've only just noticed that you'd replied.

That would be great if you could post some photos up - I still have yet to make it through the doors of Betty's!

Thanks,
Jenny.

77 Squadron 25 Jan 2013 11:32 #6

• David Thompson
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 274
No need to queue or take tea there to the view mirrors . Just go in and ask , not usually a problem . The shame is that they are downstairs near the toilets !

Have you read 'The RAF Elvington War Diary' by Mike Ushwerwood , published by Compaid Graphics , ISBN 1 90060416 7 , £9-95 ? It has details of various off camp and non-operational station activities .

Youth is wasted on the young !

77 Squadron 07 Mar 2013 23:09 #7

• Jen_91
I may just do that next time I'm in York - I'd assumed you'd have to be a customer to get through the doors.

I have indeed read Mike Usherwood's book, and I thought it was brilliant - I have definitely gained a lot from it.

77 Squadron 15 May 2016 00:06 #8

• brianw1
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello Jenny
I don't know if you're still interested in 77 Squadron, you've probably finished your dissertation by now and graduated too, but anyway you could also seek out the book by Bill Foote DFC; "Me, the RAF and 77 Squadron."
77 Squadron does have a Squadron Association with a farcebook page, their new website isn't yet up and running although the old web page can still be found. Their previous webmaster, Mike Varley sadly passed away last year.
There are still some wartime 77 Squadron veterans alive who are members of their association, Bill Foote amongst them although most of them were at Full Sutton rather than Elvington.
The association does run a reunion weekend at Elvington usually early in September.

To err is human .... a complete c**k-up takes a computer.
Don't force it .... use a bigger 'ammer.
If it ain't broke .... fix it 'til it is.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds