Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: 405 Squadron

405 Squadron 03 Nov 2014 09:13 #1

• hawker
  • hawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
405 squadron from gransden Lodge, July 1944?

my second cousin, the flight engineer on 405 squadron Lancaster rmkIII that flew from Gransden Lodge, but Derek was lost on the night of 28/29th July 1944 after a raid on Hamburg. Missing/Presumed Killed being the official verdict. He was flight engineer on LM-Q; JB707 that went dow in the RingKobing Fjord off the coast of Denmark but only the pilot was found and buried with full honours by the Germans. Derek flew from Gransden Lodge and I am very keen to find any photographs of there at that time, just in case Derek and/or his Lancaster are recorded.Can anyone please help? His surviving relatives would dearly like to see photographs of Derek and/or his Lancaster from that time if any happen to exist. He is a family hero, but we have no decent photographs unfortunately.
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

405 Squadron 03 Nov 2014 09:22 #2

• T-21
  • Thank you received: 2
Squadron Profile No 84 405 Sqdn by Chris Ward published 2000. Squadron code was LQ. http://www.airmen.dk/p334.htm It might be worth writing to this lady for information 405 Squadron RCAF Association (UK) Lorna W Hayes, 13 Woodland Way, Petts Wood, Kent BR5 1NB: [BCA 4/99]. If you are not already aware there is a beautiful stained glass memorial window in Great Gransden church.

405 Squadron 03 Nov 2014 15:30 #3

• hawker

T-21;152732 wrote: Squadron Profile No 84 405 Sqdn by Chris Ward published 2000. Squadron code was LQ. http://www.airmen.dk/p334.htm It might be worth writing to this lady for information 405 Squadron RCAF Association (UK) Lorna W Hayes, 13 Woodland Way, Petts Wood, Kent BR5 1NB: [BCA 4/99]. If you are not already aware there is a beautiful stained glass memorial window in Great Gransden church.

Thank you for that contact, that's very helpful and a letter is on its way already.

405 Squadron 11 Dec 2014 11:32 #4

• hawker

hawker;152748 wrote: Thank you for that contact, that's very helpful and a letter is on its way already.

Sadly the l;ady hasn't replied yet, for whatever reason despite my SAE but I may well write again in the New Year if nothing turns up. Thanks all the same.

405 Squadron 13 Mar 2015 10:39 #5

• hawker

hawker;154180 wrote: Sadly the lady hasn't replied yet, for whatever reason despite my SAE but I may well write again in the New Year if nothing turns up. Thanks all the same.

are we sure those contact details are correct and have now written twice both time with SAEs but no reply yet, for whatever reason.Thanks. also, I've been asking whether 405 were indeed at Gransden Lodge or Little Gransden. I think the former but not 100% sure.
Thanks again.

405 Squadron 23 Jul 2015 18:25 #6

• DLane

hawker;158095 wrote: are we sure those contact details are correct and have now written twice both time with SAEs but no reply yet, for whatever reason.Thanks. also, I've been asking whether 405 were indeed at Gransden Lodge or Little Gransden. I think the former but not 100% sure.
Thanks again.

Hi Hawker. Although I'm not able to assist you with your contact issues, I can confirm that 405 Sqdn were at Gransden Lodge, near Little Gransden in Cambridgeshire.
I have visited the airfield, which is now the home of the Cambridgeshire Gliding Club, as part of my own research concerning my father's cousin who was also a Flight Engineer with this squadron.
He unfortunately didn't return from an operation to Braunschweig on 14.1.44 in ND423 and is now at rest in Germany.

Hope this helps.

Regards

405 Squadron 23 Jul 2015 22:05 #7

• hawker

DLane;162544 wrote: Hi Hawker. Although I'm not able to assist you with your contact issues, I can confirm that 405 Sqdn were at Gransden Lodge, near Little Gransden in Cambridgeshire.
I have visited the airfield, which is now the home of the Cambridgeshire Gliding Club, as part of my own research concerning my father's cousin who was also a Flight Engineer with this squadron.
He unfortunately didn't return from an operation to Braunschweig on 14.1.44 in ND423 and is now at rest in Germany.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Thanks for that reply, I will have to try and visit because I believe that there is a 405 museum on theairfield. Sadly my Dad's cousin probably still les with hisLancaster LQ-M B707 IN Ringkoping fjord,together with most of the crew. I guess my second cousin Derek, knew your father's cousin if they were both flight engineers on the same squadron? Thanks it is all interesting.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds