Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: WW2 Training Schools: Bomber Command Flight Engineers

WW2 Training Schools: Bomber Command Flight Engineers 04 May 2016 06:53 #1

• IanDDavidson
  • IanDDavidson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 81
I am hoping to identify where the Bomber Command Flight Engineers were trained between 1939 and 1945. I am sure they were streamed by aircraft at some point.

I am trying to piece together the RAF service path of a Flight Engineer killed on a Halifax V in 1943.

Any help much appreciated.

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by IanDDavidson.

WW2 Training Schools: Bomber Command Flight Engineers 04 May 2016 08:14 #2

• netcompsys
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 569
I don't know how I know this, but I thought St Athan was where they were trained

There was an "issue" with the MkV i think

Kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: IanDDavidson

kevin

WW2 Training Schools: Bomber Command Flight Engineers 04 May 2016 12:47 #3

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 243
Aircrew training methods changed progressively during the Second World War.

Pre 1944 a qualified fitter selected for flying duties would spend five weeks at an ITW, followed by further technical training including placements at manufacturers sites and a B&GS.

In 1943 Direct Entry FE was made available for civilians. They would spend six weeks at No.21 ITW (Usworth, then Bridlington), or 90 ITW Cranage.

Flight Engineers principal 17-week training was at No.4 SoTT, St Athan, and evidently 'all 17,855 FEs passed through here' Many however received some earlier technical training at another SoTT (cosford, Cranwell, Locking being mentioned). Jefford mentions that in early 1944 Locking was responsible for the first ten weeks of the course for a large number of flight engineers. The remaining seven weeks would be undertaken at St Athan.

A posting to an HCU would follow.

All from 'Observers and Navigators' Wg Cdr CG Jefford. Airlife, 2001.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IanDDavidson

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds