Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Chailey

Chailey 20 Feb 2010 13:08 #1

• REF
  • REF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 331
Does anyone have any ideas what this is? I suspect its something to do with fuel but I'm not sure.

It is located HERE at

Cheers

Attached files [IMG]/community/40036=1230-20100217 Chailey (27)-1.jpg [IMG]/community/40036=1229-20100217 Chailey (28)-1.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by netcompsys. Reason: Fotopic web site gone away

Chailey 22 Feb 2010 22:30 #2

• Richard Drew
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 10
RAF Lymington ALG Fuel Pump House

http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk

Lovely when a plan comes together Richard, I would imagine they were ALG style buildings,

Last Edit: by netcompsys. Reason: broken link

Chailey 23 Feb 2010 21:59 #3

• REF
  • REF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 331
Hi Richard

Thanks alot for that, really appreciated. I suspected something fuel associated! I wasn't expecting to see another in good condition anywhere - and with no brambles!!!

I wonder what other buildings were designed purely for ALG's?

Cheers

Chailey 24 Feb 2010 07:25 #4

• Richard Drew
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I think the idea of ALG's was that there were none? I was surprised to find this one and more so that you have. The trouble with ALG remains are that they were some of the first put back into farming and most/all remains removed, at Needs Oar Point there are piles of concrete but no buildings.

Chailey 24 Feb 2010 08:04 #5

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 321
Which begs the question; if Chailey had a fuel pumping facilty - assuming that the output filled aircraft re-fuelling bowsers - what was the input? Was there temporary tankage or bladders for storing fuel brought in by road tanker?

Rowfant (Fuel Depot) was only around 15 miles to the north. There was a mainline railway a couple of miles east.

Chailey was constructed in 1943 on Bower Farm (East Sussex) as an ALG (Advanced Landing Ground) for support of D-Day June 6th 1944 and had three Squadrons of Spitfires flown by Polish Air Force.

I had Chailey - the airfield - further to the north. Is this a pump house to serve the ALG or something else?

Chailey 19 Mar 2010 12:30 #6

• Ian Clayton
  • Thank you received: 0
Your photos are of the fuel pump house which had two large cylindrical fuel tanks alongside. Set side by side. They must have been about eight feet in diameter and about twenty feet long.
As a boy I lived just up the road from the airfield all through the war.
The buildings have now been demolished

Chailey 20 Mar 2010 06:52 #7

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 321
Thanks Ian, that clarifies things.

Chailey 09 May 2010 16:47 #8

• delchip
Hi all I live next to the two farms that were used as WW2 air strips I own land on the bordrers which I have ploughed unearthing a large volume of rubble, and from a distance there looks to be the base of a building has anyone got large scale plans of the strips? I have the book spit and polish but the maps are to small to be able to identify my property. Thanks

Chailey 09 May 2010 20:20 #9

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 367
delchip,

There are some aerial photos from the 1946 RAF survey here

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/geography/researchprojects/airphotos-historic/1940/index.html

Zoom in and then navigate to the area you are interested in and click on the green aeroplane symbol to open the picture of that rectangle - It makes sense when you are looking at the site - I hope. This only works for the 1940s sets.

Below is a link to the Chailey airfield frame. You can change the last number to 5205 or 5203 to get the frames each side. The 10 refers to the run and is not consistant, hence the map navigation.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/geography/researchprojects/sussexairphotos/1940/10-5204.jpg

These photos may be better than the plans as in some cases the actual layout may differ from the plan.

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011
Last Edit: by Peter Kirk. Reason: Updated dead links to new university site

Chailey 29 Oct 2010 13:56 #10

• Jack
Hi, the building shown above is indeed a fuel pumping station. I recently carried out an archaeological survey of the Second World War features left standing on Bower Farm, that included this building. Most of the buildings relating to the airfield have now been demolished, however this one still stands as it was surrounded by rubble banks that make this area of the field too hard to plough. There was an aircraft hanger a short distance away that now only survives as a dip in the field. My Grandfather took over the farm after the airfield was dismantled and it is now run by my uncle. I would be interested if anyone has any maps, stories or photographs relating to the airfield that may help in recording its history.

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds