17 Sep 2017
New ARG Chairman
Read More...

TOPIC: Army Camps / Barracks Scotland

Army Camps / Barracks Scotland 10 Aug 2013 18:27 #11

• annmacp54
  • Thank you received: 0
Bendarroch, Gairlochhead WWII Combined Operations Camp

Can anybody tell what happened to Bendarroch Camp Gairlochead after WWII.
Was it used to house men working at Loch Sloy or other public works in the Gairloch area?

In my family tree research I have come across a family member whose address in 1948 was Bendarroch Camp Gairlochead.

I would be most grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of where I could find more information on Bendarroch Camp
especially who or what organisation [e.g. contractors building works] owned or was using the camp.

Many Thanks

Ann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Army Camps / Barracks Scotland 10 Aug 2013 19:04 #12

• mbriscoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 346
The Secret Scotland website says there were squatters there in 1950.

Combined Operations used lots of houses on the West coast, most tended to suffer badly at the hands of the military during the war.

There seems to have been a Bendarroch House so the camp was possibly in the grounds. Not sure if it is still there, there is a public park and references to offices and stables. Also a primary school with earlier a mention of a residential block - some secondary schools in the Highlands have/had residential block for pupils living some distance away from the school.

There seem to be two Bendarroch, with another one near Stirling or Perth.

Army Camps / Barracks Scotland 10 Aug 2013 20:02 #13

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 43
Was there a camp on the outskirts of Cupar in wwii? Theres an industrial estate on the just off the A91 that has the look of an army camp.

Army Camps / Barracks Scotland 10 Aug 2013 20:30 #14

• mbriscoe
  • Platinum Member

canberra;130327 wrote: Was there a camp on the outskirts of Cupar in wwii? Theres an industrial estate on the just off the A91 that has the look of an army camp.

I would not be surprised if there were quite a few around there, I have studied the area mainly identifying Y Service sites but there was a lot going on there in WWII. There was an Ordnance Depot at Ladybank but that is going, I am sure I remember a camp in that area.

Try searching on PASTMAP then enable Canmore and / or the HER to identify sites (best using one at a time otherwise gets confusing).

Army Camps / Barracks Scotland 12 Jun 2016 09:28 #15

• mbriscoe
  • Platinum Member
An interesting PDF about Combined Operations HMS Inverailort on the HER.

THE FORMER MILITARY CAMP AT LOCHAILORT

Time to create page: 0.495 seconds