Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
17 Sep 2017
New ARG Chairman
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Donna Nook Airfield: can anyone translate these codes and abbreviations (please)?

Donna Nook Airfield: can anyone translate these codes and abbreviations (please)? 06 Jan 2016 17:30 #1

• Carol
  • Carol's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
This is a summary of my dad's service record, as best as I could decipher it. I'm interested in all of it, of course, but especially the details of how and where he was wounded--as Dad, who went to his reward in 1973, never, ever discussed any of this with me. (Just to humanize the raw data, it was only after he passed away that I learnt--to my delight--that my very proper, upstanding old man had been busted once for going AWOL (whilst playing poker!). My dad--a renegade!! I would be most grateful for any help deciphering this cryptic history:

Per his service records from the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow, Abraham Alfred Cohen (ID 1787698) served in the British Army from 10 April 1941-12 Aug 1946. His original assignment was to the Leicester R 070 Regiment (R.A. [CD] is crossed out after that, along with something no longer legible) as a lance corporal. The nature of the engagement is "AC" or "OC" (perhaps Artillery Corps?). His industry group is WE, and his occupational classification is 363-10 (stricken) or 364/50 (written above it). His medical category is a hodgepodge: A1 and A2 (both stricken), then 132/113, B7, 179C, B4, 179C, 53/221 TL, F36, following by something illegible and 2 2 9 39.

Dad was last stationed at Donna Nook Airfield. He enlisted at the rank of private (“pte”), and was apparently assigned to the "1st AA [anti-aircraft] Div 'Z' Tr[ainin]g Reg[imen]t R[oyal] A[rtillery]". On 5 June 1941, he was sent to the "NO/Coast Arty Group" (North Coast Artillery Group?) with a rank of GNR (“gunner”). He was promoted to Lance Corporal on 14 October 1942, a rank he held until at least 10 August 1943, according to his promotions list.

Then on 5 December 1943, Dad agreed to service overseas, and was transferred to the Leicestershire Artillery [Yeomanry] (Leicester R70, according to AFB 104-1).[1] He was wounded on 29 November 1943 "Ref 44331 (AG6a)," Apparently, he received a head wound serious enough to be "likely to interfere with efficiency" (a statement labeled "B117") on 12 May 1944 (that one is labeled "B114") according to the identification of abraham alfred cohen on joining. Dad never, ever spoke of his experiences in the service, but he received the defence medal and war medal 1939/45 (same document).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Donna Nook Airfield: can anyone translate these codes and abbreviations (please)? 07 Jan 2016 11:29 #2

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
Hello Carol,

this listing might answer some of your queries:

www.ww2f.com/topic/37564-abbreviations-a...and-service-records/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds