Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: BRETFORD - Protected BBC transmitter block near Coventry

BRETFORD - Protected BBC transmitter block near Coventry 10 Mar 2017 11:34 #1

• WILLIAMARNOLD
  • WILLIAMARNOLD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 191
Originaly possted as "Bretford " decoy site near Coventry

The decoy site control and generator building is closer to Brandon than Bretford ( the site is located at SP 418 777 The building at SP 414 769) this is the view from the nearby bridle path. (Note the "blast Wall" in front of the entrance) In the hedgerow approaching it are these stakes (SEE Decoy site near leamington ) I am trying to see if there is a correlation between decoy control buildings and metal staking)
the next photo is nearby but obviously unrelated to the site beingI presume a post war pump-house for a well or reservoir This is to illustrate a question that is gnawing away at the back of my brain .Generators need fuel how was it stored and transferred to the generator building Tin cans?drums ? if so did they need an ancillary shed or a fixed or mobile tank connected to the generator or used to fill cans/drums. tanks if not removed by the M.O.D.would have been Quickly Appropriated by Farmers.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Long ago and far away
Last Edit: by netcompsys. Reason: originaly posted as a possible decoy site

BRETFORD - Protected BBC transmitter block near Coventry 11 Mar 2017 07:50 #2

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 342
There is a record of a borehole here in Privet Covert drilled in 1980:

wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=5...grat=None&rgrat=None

There is a record (but data is listed as confidential which might be of military significance) of three boreholes here named as Brandon Farm SD & GRL Trials

Source:

mapapps.bgs.ac.uk/geologyofbritain/home.html ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WILLIAMARNOLD

BRETFORD - Protected BBC transmitter block near Coventry 12 Mar 2017 15:06 #3

• WILLIAMARNOLD
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Using the "wheres the Path map"!st series OS 2.5 inch to the mileI note, the structure is in long covert and the track it is next to is a bridlepath which that map does not show .The decoy building is to the left of the footpathimmediately above the D in Brandon.

The "well/pumphouse" is well constructed i would say at least 1960s the brick work is excellent a door and window appear to have been bricked in using the same style bricks ,and it is capped with a flat concrete slab roof it looks much better than farmers pump-houses i see along rivers in which shed construction seems popular. it has a look similar to Some Severn Trent water building style.

Conspiracy mode would have it as a concealed entrance to a Nuclear Bunker .but i prefer more prosaic interpretations ie an artesian well that failed. As for Military boreholes less than two miles away over the road from Fosse farm at the junction of the Fosse way and a road from Wolston there is a Nuclear Observation post perhaps the powers that be were interested in Brandon Farm as a location before settling upon another site? nearby is Brandon Speedway stadium and there was a relief landing ground "Brinklow" off the Fosseway nearby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER

Long ago and far away

BRETFORD - Protected BBC transmitter block near Coventry 26 Aug 2017 09:53 #4

• WILLIAMARNOLD
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Conspiracy mode was right well almost ,according to subteranea brittanica this is a "Protected BBC transmitter block" built by the BBC in 1966 and would have had aerial masts removed

Long ago and far away

BRETFORD - Protected BBC transmitter block near Coventry 30 Jun 2018 09:08 #5

• WILLIAMARNOLD
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I revisited the site of the Transmitter and found that one of the blocks in the door has been removed so i can confirm that it is not up and ready for use the roof seems to possibly have a small parapet on it and the door frame is still in place but no door is in the frame i located the entrance which was a gate presumably with fencing that seems to have been removed or rusted away . the inside seems to be an atrium with 3 doors leading offf one to the left a transmitter room ? one directly ahead probably the generator room with venting and airbricks ,and one to the right .east facade back south facade west facade with fuel tank fuel tank Air vent ?on East Facade the front of the buildingNorth facade note the damage to the blocked in doorway looking left on the inside looking straight ahead looking right the remains of the gate which is in line with the front entrance

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER

Long ago and far away

BRETFORD - Protected BBC transmitter block near Coventry 30 Jun 2018 15:06 #6

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 470
I only saw one 'covert' DF site, near Guildford . From the road it looked like an electricity substation though I don't know if that was intentional. There were no antenna except for possibly Band II or Long Wave. It used the same antenna as the BBC DF MTT , this was described to me as "cigar" antenna, A series of aluminium tubes that slotted together and wider in the middle so looking rather like a cigar.

Most DF transmitters were either on existing transmitter sites with dedicated (ancient) transmitters, some of the WWII Group "H" sites seemed to be used - these were often at sites with a tall chimney that could be used for supporting the antenna. Many of these sites became Local Radio transmitter sites but a few, like the one near Guildford, could not get planning permission and were demolished or abandoned.

I always wonder if there are any undiscovered 'covert' sites lurking somewhere!

I have never seen anything written about them and no lists.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WILLIAMARNOLD

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds