Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: 81 MU Bowes Moor

81 MU Bowes Moor 29 Nov 2012 04:27 #11

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 321
Bowes Station was well located for use as a railhead for Bowes Moor CW depot. There would have been a dedicated loading platform. Looking at old maps I think that this was on the south side of the line meaning trucks would have to cross the bridge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 MU Bowes Moor 01 Dec 2012 06:04 #12

• Yorkie370
  • Thank you received: 1
As you say, Peter, the goods yard is on the south side of the station, with a six-bay coal stage southernmost, a spur either side of a loading platform, and a loop behind the 'down' platform. The 'up' platform seems to be passengers-only, with the Stationmaster's house, ticket hall, waiting room and gents facilities with only a small yard behind. To the east of the station, with a link to the 'down' line, is a very long siding, much longer than you might associate with such a small station with access only at one end, so not much use as a passing loop. Trains would have to reverse into this siding.

Incidently, the line is on a bridge over the road, the ground slopes gentle from North to South. Entry to the goods yard was about 50 yards, and some 15 feet lower than the line. Trucks would be passing under the line.

81 MU Bowes Moor 04 Dec 2012 05:48 #13

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 321
Thanks, I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to railway terms. Spur and siding I understand but when you say' loop' is that where a section of track leave the main, runs (usually parallel) then rejoins the main?

Most munitions storage areas had either direct rail access or a local 'railhead' and it is useful to know and be able to recognise the original features of the railhead from the remains or looking at old mapping.

81 MU Bowes Moor 28 Jan 2014 20:55 #14

• BDU
  • Thank you received: 0

Yorkie370;115678 wrote: Thanks for those dates, Carnaby. (Can't help but remember lorry-loads of Ladas going past my Mum's up the A165 when I see your name, BTW.) I guess I shall have to invoke 'willing the suspension of disbelief' with my layout of 1960s Bowes...

LADA NIVA :grin:

81 MU Bowes Moor 19 Apr 2014 19:31 #15

• Yorkie370
  • Thank you received: 1

BDU;140069 wrote: LADA NIVA :grin:

And why not. Hugely under-rated.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.557 seconds