Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO THE FORUM, INTRODUCING A NEW "FORUM MEMBER" SUBSCRIPTION MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY FOR NON-ARG MEMBERS.This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone recognise this airfield please?

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 25 Jun 2018 07:38 #1

• Ossington_2008
  • Ossington_2008's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Intriguing image from Kenn C. Rust's "The 9th Air Force in World War II" p.76.

imgur.com/a/vB0etOg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 25 Jun 2018 08:21 #2

• netcompsys
  • Thank you received: 710
Moved to "Where or What is this" section of the forum ...
kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossington_2008

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 25 Jun 2018 08:34 #3

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 455

Ossington_2008 wrote: Intriguing image from Kenn C. Rust's "The 9th Air Force in World War II" p.76.

I want to say Upottery but I 'm not sure now. Sod's law that my Airfields of the Ninth in in the loft which is rapidly reaching Fahrenheit 451! It is a well known photo though.

My Ken Rust book was one of my early aviation books, bought in 1974 in a bookshop on the Charing Cross Road, London - a real old fashioned bookshop and most of the time spent there was watching the old boy enter the books details in his ledger with a big ink pen. Can't recall the price but it required him to calculate the dollar/pound conversion to check the price hadn't changed due to currency. Ah, the old days eh! Cash only.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 25 Jun 2018 09:29 #4

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I bought my copy at Newark's Cockpit Fest & Aeroboot this weekend. One of those books I couldn't afford at the time (or a long time since!) Unlike many books of the period, it holds up well, with much modeller info etc. present. I don't want to be a book collector, but I remember "The Fireball Outfit", "Checkertail Clan" and "Yoxford Boys"
all these were roundabout the 35/- mark. A colossal amount then. Ah, poverty!

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 25 Jun 2018 10:30 #5

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 290

Peter Kirk wrote: I want to say Upottery but I 'm not sure now. Sod's law that my Airfields of the Ninth in in the loft which is rapidly reaching Fahrenheit 451! It is a well known photo though.

My copy is 'cool'. Assuming the aircraft are on the main runway, the peri track doesn't look right for Upottery. My best guess is Ramsbury.
An Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman walked into a bar. The bartender asked, 'Is this a joke or what!'

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 25 Jun 2018 12:09 #6

• TerryClark
  • Thank you received: 69
Tarrant Rushton?

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 26 Jun 2018 07:22 #7

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
This image is available free on Fold3 under WW2, US Air Force Photographs Image No A 13226.

Although a caption is available it does not identify the airfield simply stating 'somewhare in England during training'

I note that the gliders are a mix of Hadrians and Wacos and no aircraft bear invasion stripe markings.

The background is clearer in this copy with buildings evident so that should shorten the odds.

Image Courtesy of Fold3 (US Archives)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carnaby, Ossington_2008

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 26 Jun 2018 08:16 #8

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 290
Ramsbury it is, viewed from the south across the eastern end of the main runway. That white edged rectangle can be seen on the vertical on p.184 in Airfields of the Ninth (though without the edge). The tower of Holy Cross Church in the Village of Ramsbury can be made out in the background.

AS9 states that 'the ends of the main runway had steel planking added to facilitate mass take off. Is this the section below the white line on the runway? The airfield supplied 70 Waco Hadrians for Operation Market Garden. Would these have had 'Invasion' stripes?
I note Wiki states: ...a month after D-Day the stripes were ordered removed from the upper surfaces of airplanes, and completely removed by the end of 1944
An Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman walked into a bar. The bartender asked, 'Is this a joke or what!'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossington_2008

Last edit: by Carnaby.

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 26 Jun 2018 08:42 #9

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Guys. I knew someone on here would know. The habitation being so close was the reason I enquired. I presume that the original print was never fully captioned at the time, hence it not being located on publication in 1974.

Anyone recognise this airfield please? 29 Jun 2018 12:20 #10

• Bloodhound1949
  • Thank you received: 71
I thought the Hadrian was the British designation for the Waco glider ?.....There appear to be four Airspeed Horsa gliders also on the photograph.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.760 seconds