Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can anyone identify this building type please?

Can anyone identify this building type please? 16 Apr 2019 22:38 #1

• DavidSutton
  • DavidSutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
This is a corner of Ridgewell Site 10. According to the official site plan, all 4 of the buildings I've labelled are Seco units 2053/43.
This is clearly not the case - the 2 darker colored buildings have a higher roof line with a steeper pitch.
I believe the light colored buildings are standard Seco units of 19ft x 60ft and the mystery buildings are roughly the same dimensions.

Can anyone help me identify the darker building type please? I'm thinking they may be wooden framed with corrugated steel covering but it's hard to tell.
I can't make out any brick piers that would suggest a temporary brick type building. The stripe effect on the roof might mean something to someone I suppose.
Also, any idea of the color of these? Could they actually be black?

Would be great to get a positive id of these buildings please.

Thanks,

Dave

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can anyone identify this building type please? 17 Apr 2019 09:53 #2

• IanDDavidson
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 104

DavidSutton wrote: This is a corner of Ridgewell Site 10. According to the official site plan, all 4 of the buildings I've labelled are Seco units 2053/43.
This is clearly not the case - the 2 darker colored buildings have a higher roof line with a steeper pitch.
I believe the light colored buildings are standard Seco units of 19ft x 60ft and the mystery buildings are roughly the same dimensions.

Can anyone help me identify the darker building type please? I'm thinking they may be wooden framed with corrugated steel covering but it's hard to tell.
I can't make out any brick piers that would suggest a temporary brick type building. The stripe effect on the roof might mean something to someone I suppose.
Also, any idea of the color of these? Could they actually be black?

Would be great to get a positive id of these buildings please.

Thanks,

Dave

Buildings 478 and 481 look very much like Laing Huts. The abbreviations table lists Thorne Huts, and a quick google finds that Laing and Thorne Huts were very similar.

The Laing huts were of light timber-frame construction, covered with plasterboard and felted, roofed with corrugated asbestos sheets, all internally lined with plasterboard, and they were erected on a light concrete base. They measured roughly 18 feet wide by 60 feet long with a height of 8 feet at the apex. The Thorne huts were of similar design.
www.hoap.co.uk/who/burton06.htm

Can anyone identify this building type please? 17 Apr 2019 22:23 #3

• DavidSutton
Thanks for your input Ian. I'll have to look into those Laing Huts. I'm fairly sure they aren't Thorne Huts as they are supposed to have splayed-out walls and these look square to me (see drawing).
The covering including the roof does look like tarred felt, rather than asbestos sheet. I wonder if the stripes on the roof are where the roofing joists are located? Hoping I'll find a ground level picture with close up detail one day.

This forum seems pretty quiet these days don't you think? Where have all the building gurus and 100+ post threads gone!?

Dave

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Can anyone identify this building type please? 16 May 2019 09:53 #4

• ColinBa
  • Thank you received: 12
"This forum seems pretty quiet these days don't you think? Where have all the building gurus and 100+ post threads gone!?" Probably pi**ed off with the management changes. I put a lot of stuff on here and people being charged to see it is just not what the net used to be about. We all shared.

Can anyone identify this building type please? 16 May 2019 17:27 #5

• DavidSutton
That's a real shame Colin. I really thought I'd found a place to share my interest in airfield structures with like minded individuals but responses seem to be few and far between. Have the group moved to a facebook site that I'm unaware of perhaps? Do you happen to know of any other groups where the details of wartime buildings are discussed please?

Thanks,
Dave

Can anyone identify this building type please? 17 May 2019 07:48 #6

• Jeff Hawley
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

ColinBa wrote: "This forum seems pretty quiet these days don't you think? Where have all the building gurus and 100+ post threads gone!?" Probably pi**ed off with the management changes. I put a lot of stuff on here and people being charged to see it is just not what the net used to be about. We all shared.

Hi Colin,
I have sent you a private forum message to discuss this.

Kind regards,
Jeff Hawley
Chairman
Airfield Research Group Ltd

Can anyone identify this building type please? 17 May 2019 07:57 #7

• Jeff Hawley
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

DavidSutton wrote: That's a real shame Colin. I really thought I'd found a place to share my interest in airfield structures with like minded individuals but responses seem to be few and far between. Have the group moved to a facebook site that I'm unaware of perhaps? Do you happen to know of any other groups where the details of wartime buildings are discussed please?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

We have a page on Facebook to promote the charity but have not moved the group to it. I have researched other groups that may discuss topics such as the ones on the forum and have found that most of them charge for access to their forums and websites so was not able to see what they provided. The Charity is looking for more individuals to get involved with the running of the charity, would you be interested in helping us and hopefully be able to work with more like minded people on a daily basis?

Kind regards,

Jeff Hawley
Chairman
Airfield Research Group Ltd

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds