Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO THE FORUM, INTRODUCING A NEW "FORUM MEMBER" SUBSCRIPTION MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY FOR NON-ARG MEMBERS.This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Near Uttoxeter - anyone know what this is/was?

Near Uttoxeter - anyone know what this is/was? 14 May 2011 14:38 #1

• Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Whilst looking for something else on the map I noticed these buildings.....

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.88935706237149&lon=-1.9235944747924805&gz=15&oz=8>=1

Anyone know what the place is/was?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Near Uttoxeter - anyone know what this is/was? 14 May 2011 17:59 #2

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 280
Having noticed it's at Lower Loxley I thought it might be where they stored all the Archer's characters who've met untimely ends over the decades.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/the-archers/places/lower-loxley-hall

However Bramshall was, according to a small number of web sites, one of four military 'camps' in the East Staffs area (others - Fauld, Marchington, Needwood) Nothing in TNA, which is peculiar. It had two sites, the southern one was rail-served and was ammo storage. Lots on the web about its closure c.1973 due to the expansion of Caerwent. I suspected it was a sub-site of Marchington, but as the latter was the post-WWII Central Vehicle Depot, not so sure.

Wonder if it too is post WWII?
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Near Uttoxeter - anyone know what this is/was? 16 May 2011 06:09 #3

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 363
It's Bramshall ASD (Army Ammuntion Storage Depot)

It had 11 'magazines' 10 of which were fed by an internal standard gauge rail system. The remaining building was accessed by a road. It had its own locos and rolling stock.

I can't find an opening date but I suspect it to be post-war as Carnaby suggests. From my 'railway' contacts, the last train to run on the adjacent (now disused) railway was in 1957 so the spur into the depot (in the south through Lower Loxley) would have become unused.

I found a statement that it was used by the US Army in 1967 when they had to shift stock out of Europe following France pulling out of NATO. Probably 155mm shell stored and then shifted to Caerwent.

Near Uttoxeter - anyone know what this is/was? 16 May 2011 08:18 #4

• hydealfred
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 4

Carnaby;75002 wrote: Having noticed it's at Lower Loxley I thought it might be where they stored all the Archer's characters who've met untimely ends over the decades.

I thought exactly the same when I saw the name Lower Loxley - sorry to you non Archers fans if this does not make sense :-P

Near Uttoxeter - anyone know what this is/was? 16 May 2011 09:23 #5

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 280
Just noticed from my link in post #2 that the last 'victim' was Nigel Pargetter who 'fell from the roof of Lower Loxley Hall in Jan 2011' :o.

Being sensible, thanks for your info in Post #3 Peter.

I now wonder what the 'Needwood Camp' was mentioned in post #2? A quick Google revealed nothing.
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Near Uttoxeter - anyone know what this is/was? 16 May 2011 09:42 #6

• Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks chaps.

Needwood Camp.....possibly near RAF Tatenhill - or at least Needwood House is!

Near Uttoxeter - anyone know what this is/was? 10 May 2018 18:20 #7

• IanDDavidson
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 87

Carnaby wrote: Just noticed from my link in post #2 that the last 'victim' was Nigel Pargetter who 'fell from the roof of Lower Loxley Hall in Jan 2011' :o.

Being sensible, thanks for your info in Post #3 Peter.

I now wonder what the 'Needwood Camp' was mentioned in post #2? A quick Google revealed nothing.

It is sometimes referred to as Barton-Under-Needwood Camp. Still no nearer the actual location.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds