Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO THE FORUM, INTRODUCING A NEW "FORUM MEMBER" SUBSCRIPTION MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY FOR NON-ARG MEMBERS.This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...

TOPIC: Highball trials unit-where?

Highball trials unit-where? 30 Aug 2013 13:00 #1

• John Anderson
  • John Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
[IMG]/community/131201=13566-Mosquito 1.jpg
[IMG]/community/131201=13567-Mosquito 2.jpg

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[IMG]/community/131201=13569-Trials team.jpg

Anyone any idea where these photos were taken? Part of a collection from my wife's late uncle. Appear to be postwar, a small trials unit and not 618 Sqdn. i.e. Leo Lane has a white cover on his cap (not worn during wartime?) and his WW2 medal ribbons. Also note there are a couple of FAA aircrew as part of the unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Highball trials unit-where? 30 Aug 2013 13:08 #2

• WJT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
John:

Those pics are most interesting. I'm away from my data at the moment, but I have a reference to a Highball Trials Unit (perhaps part of the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment?) being stationed at Spilsby, I recall in approx 46. Presumably Spilby's proximity to The Wash ranges was the reason for the deployment.

I'm not sure when I can get access to my notes, but will post what data I can find.

Bill

Highball trials unit-where? 30 Aug 2013 17:12 #3

• Jenna
  • Thank you received: 1
Cant think why or how but Ellough (Nr Beccles) comes to mind for testing of the Highball post ww2?

Highball trials unit-where? 30 Aug 2013 17:50 #4

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
You're correct Jenna, according to one of my books Beccles was used for training with 'Highball' for the Pacific. Though this was started in August 1944. The targets being marked-out on the runway.
The Dead got memorials, The living got time.

Highball trials unit-where? 30 Aug 2013 18:29 #5

• WJT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
The Air-Britain book "RAF Flying Training and Support Units Since 1912", by the late Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin gives the following:

Highball Trials Flight

A detachment of MAEE sent 1.4.46 to Spilsby. To Coningsby 1.6.46 until 7.11.47. Aircraft: Sea Mosquito TR33 (TW228); Mosquito B.IV, FB.VI (PZ281).

No mention of Beccles as far as this unit was concerned.

Highball trials unit-where? 30 Aug 2013 18:49 #6

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
It was 618 Squadron who were training with these. I also have a recording on video tape about the Highball experiments, though where that is now....?
The Dead got memorials, The living got time.

Highball trials unit-where? 01 Sep 2013 16:24 #7

• Richard Drew
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Just read 'A most Secret Squadron' all about 618sqdn. It tells all about the trials of the bomb. Go to http://www.superbookshops.co.uk/Superbook
website and I paid £6.99.

Highball trials unit-where? 01 Sep 2013 16:56 #8

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 515

Highball trials unit-where? 02 Sep 2013 01:50 #9

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 363
Skitten was used as the base by 618 Sqn to attack Tirpitz in April 1943 using Highball but this thread is drifting. John's photographs are just post-war it would seem so the focus should be in that direction. Late war there was an intent to use Highball in the Far East but that was overtaken by events. What intrigues me is - if these images are postwar - is what was the interest in continuing trials on this bomb.

Highball trials unit-where? 02 Sep 2013 04:18 #10

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 515
Loch Striven is down on the Clyde so would expect one of the airfields down in Ayrshire or Abbotsinch / present day Glasgow Airport to be used.

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds