Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: STANTON St. QUINTIN - St. Giles Church

STANTON St. QUINTIN - St. Giles Church 10 May 2018 19:53 #1

• SKEETER
  • SKEETER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 48
A stained glass window was dedicated here on Sunday 8th May. It honours the ordinary workers of the Womens Auxiliary Air Force who lived in the village and worked at RAF Hullavington when it was the Empire Central Flying School, during WW II. The window was designed and made by Wiltshire artist Peter Berry.
This photo' shows the complete window. It is difficult to see the detail in this view. The upper panels depict various types of aircraft(Spitfire, Hurricane, Oxford etc) flying within 'radio frequency lines.' More aircraft are shown at the base of each panel. It's well worth a visit if you are in the vicinity as it is really beautiful.

This photo' of the the bottom of the L/H panel shows one of the two 'D' type hangars and WAAF flight mechanics working on an Oxford on the left.

This photo' of the bottom of the R/H panel showing the ATC in front of the hangar.

Close up of the WAAF badge including a closer view of the WAAF mechanics working on the Oxford.

Close up of the ECFS badge.

This RAF Hullavington station badge is depicted at the top of another window, also by Peter Berry.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony H, netcompsys, Maggie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Tony H. Reason: Update

STANTON St. QUINTIN - St. Giles Church 11 May 2018 08:17 #2

• Maggie
  • Thank you received: 16
And the Latin motto "Aequora dividunt - conjugate coelum" - translates as "The seas divide - the air unites"

Last Edit: by Tony H.

STANTON St. QUINTIN - St. Giles Church 11 May 2018 08:44 #3

• Maggie
  • Thank you received: 16
Someone who did attend the dedication service put this on the R.A.F Balloon Sqn FB page
"I visited H today and laid 4 remembrance crosses beneath the plaque. Then after the service in Stanton I got talking to Sqn Ldr Graham Patterson who was the predecessor to Graham Coton and also maritime branch. A very nice guy who could be interested in attending our next reunion. Sad news though as he told me that Graham Coton has now passed away. RIP Sir!"
photo.php Don't think the link to the photos is working so you will have to look at it on FB!

I thought it was a very nice gesture of remembrance on his part.

Last Edit: by Tony H.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds