New ARG Chairman
Read More...

TOPIC: Linton-on-Ouse

Linton-on-Ouse 29 Aug 2008 16:49 #1

• Paul Francis
  • Paul Francis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 361

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!
Last Edit: by Paul Francis.

Linton-on-Ouse 11 May 2009 11:25 #2

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 304
Passing Linton-on-Ouse with NJR & CDP last week we stopped to have a look from the fence at what was going on there. It looks like a new tower is being built.

Excuse the quality, they are a long way away and the photos are cropped! Not what I'd usually post but more for referance.

The old;

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The new;

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Linton-on-Ouse 10 Nov 2009 23:09 #3

• David Thompson
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 180
I was at Linton today on a base tour and learnt that the new control tower will be commissioned on the 19 November and will operate alongside the existing tower for a few days to prove all of its systems before taking over as the operational tower . Normally , as well as the aircraft , I only photograph control towers and hangars but found myself photographing various airfield buildings and even vehicles....must be the influence of AiX !

Youth is wasted on the young !

Linton-on-Ouse 11 Nov 2009 08:44 #4

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 15

Stevo;6752 wrote: Has to be one of the ugliest modification made to a CT.
;)

It is, but one thing in its favour is that it has meant little alteration to the original 2328/39 watch office. Hopefully this will have a good future?

Another interesting thing is that NPs pics give an unusual glimpse into how these 2548/55 VCRs were added to existing designs. They all have that steel platforn with the steel girder legs, but normally dropped down through the original building, which has to have its floors cut and new local foundations made to facilitate the heavy VCR.

James Thomas

Linton-on-Ouse 12 Nov 2009 08:32 #5

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 15
It surprised me when I first found out (via two fairly explicit drawings), but the VCR weight has to be taken down to the foundations. I suppose weight must be only one worry, wind side forces etc is another.
In St Mawgans tower there were certain places where you could crawl in or open a hatch and see the 'newer' steel work.

James Thomas

Linton-on-Ouse 07 May 2010 19:53 #6

• Tony H
  • Thank you received: 192
1. There is (was?) a plaque in the (old) tower dedicated to the memory of a former WWII aircrew whose ashes were scattered over the airfield in either the 50's or 60's

2. In the mid 80's there was an incident of one of the female assistants "seeing a ghost" in the old tower in WWII flying kit (not sure if this is/isn't related to No 1?)

3. The fate of the old WWII ATC building is secure as it is now used as the engineering base for visiting detachments. However I'm unsure what plans exist for the post war addition (VCR)
I will check with a good contact and report back next week

4. When it was windy - the noise of the wind passing through the ironwork supports was very loud

5. Finally, the new build tower is modelled on the new ATC building at Coningsby - and this design will be used for all future tower replacements A/R

Rgds

Tony H

Linton-on-Ouse 14 May 2010 19:18 #7

• Tony H
  • Thank you received: 192
Gents

FYI

This evening I've just returned from a course at Shawbury - (where I spoke to a colleague currently based at Linton)

The old WWII ATC building is apparently listed and therefore will be retained UTFN. The post war VCR extension however, is to be dismantled/demolished ASAP

Hope this is of use ?

Rgds

Tony H

Linton-on-Ouse 02 Jun 2010 07:43 #8

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
Colin, unlikley that you will get to the far side of the airfield but, in case you do,the original pre-war bomb store was located in this wood and there may be remains.

Also, if you look to 10 o'clock from the wood, there appears to be two extant Fuzing Point sheds from the later bomb store.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.052188&lon=-1.264579&z=15.9&r=0&src="msl "

Linton-on-Ouse 02 Jun 2010 20:04 #9

• Linton Lad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
if you want to know whats left in the old bomb dumpi can find out as i have access to all the airfield

Many thanks from linton lad

come join my facebook group/ raf linton on ouse spotters group

Linton-on-Ouse 03 Jun 2010 07:18 #10

• ColinBa
  • Thank you received: 9
Peter, I know the old bomb dump, I used to go picking mushrooms in that area with my kids. There used to be some Nissan huts over there which were still in good condition.
There was a Station Farm set-up which grew vegetables around various parts of the airfield. It used the produce in the various messes and sold the surplus to enrich mess funds. I recall a potato patch may have been located on that side of the airfield.
I always thought that a flat area on the side of a river was an unusual place to locate an airfield but still they used to have very good football teams who got a lot of practice when flying was curtailed because of poor visibility. You do tend to get mists in river areas.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds