17 Sep 2017
New ARG Chairman
Read More...

TOPIC: Linton-on-Ouse

Linton-on-Ouse 29 Aug 2008 16:49 #1

• Paul Francis
  • Paul Francis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 331

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!
Last Edit: by Paul Francis.

Linton-on-Ouse 11 May 2009 11:25 #2

• Richard Flagg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 286
Passing Linton-on-Ouse with NJR & CDP last week we stopped to have a look from the fence at what was going on there. It looks like a new tower is being built.

Excuse the quality, they are a long way away and the photos are cropped! Not what I'd usually post but more for referance.

The old;

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The new;

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Linton-on-Ouse 10 Nov 2009 23:09 #3

• David Thompson
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I was at Linton today on a base tour and learnt that the new control tower will be commissioned on the 19 November and will operate alongside the existing tower for a few days to prove all of its systems before taking over as the operational tower . Normally , as well as the aircraft , I only photograph control towers and hangars but found myself photographing various airfield buildings and even vehicles....must be the influence of AiX !

Youth is wasted on the young !

Linton-on-Ouse 11 Nov 2009 08:44 #4

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10

Stevo;6752 wrote: Has to be one of the ugliest modification made to a CT.
;)

It is, but one thing in its favour is that it has meant little alteration to the original 2328/39 watch office. Hopefully this will have a good future?

Another interesting thing is that NPs pics give an unusual glimpse into how these 2548/55 VCRs were added to existing designs. They all have that steel platforn with the steel girder legs, but normally dropped down through the original building, which has to have its floors cut and new local foundations made to facilitate the heavy VCR.

James Thomas

Linton-on-Ouse 12 Nov 2009 08:32 #5

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10
It surprised me when I first found out (via two fairly explicit drawings), but the VCR weight has to be taken down to the foundations. I suppose weight must be only one worry, wind side forces etc is another.
In St Mawgans tower there were certain places where you could crawl in or open a hatch and see the 'newer' steel work.

James Thomas
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds