Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tang Hall and/or Murton Lane Station

Tang Hall and/or Murton Lane Station 01 Jun 2018 14:48 #1

• Richard Austen
  • Richard Austen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 25
I recently came across references to an Army Ordnance sub-depot at Tang Hall (York) and also Murton Lane Station which was requisitioned by the WD and the area surrounding for use as a fuel storage site with a capacity of 500,000 gallons stored in cans.

Has anyone further details, please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tang Hall and/or Murton Lane Station 02 Jun 2018 07:29 #2

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Both locations were in east York and served (then) by the Derwent Valley Railway.

I have this link in my files and it has 5 'hits' in the text for Murton and 2 for Tang Hall. Apologies if this is the reference you saw!

file:///E:/Verbatim%20total%20HDD%20copy%2026%20MAY%2017/Verbatim/MILITARY%20HISTORY/Railways/The%20Derwent%20Valley%20Railway.html

Tang Hall and/or Murton Lane Station 13 Jun 2018 19:10 #3

• MatthewWedgwood
  • Thank you received: 3
There's this from an Industrial Railway Society article -

The line survived the twin evils of the 1930's - agricultural depression and road competition - and found itself faced with a strenuous role during World War 2, imposed upon it for the now famous reason that from 3,000 feet up, the track was completely invisible! An Army ordnance sub‑depot was built at Tang Hall; Murton Lane Station was requisitioned by the War Department and a 40 wagon siding put in by them for the Northern Command Petrol Depot which had a capacity of 500,000 gallons, all stored in cans in adjoining fields. A siding to take 20 wagons was put in at Elvington for the construction of Elvington airfield

I'm sure there's more details in the recent book on the DVLR, unfortunately my copy is on loan at the moment!

Tang Hall and/or Murton Lane Station 13 Jun 2018 23:37 #4

• David Thompson
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 290
From the York Press , 11 October 2013 ;

"Passenger services came to an end in the 1920s because of competition from buses: and from then on until its closure, the line concentrated on freight, carrying agricultural produce to market in York as well as transporting coal, oil and petroleum, chemicals and concrete.

During the Second World War it also carried materials for building airfields at Elvington and Riccall. Because of poor maintenance and overhanging vegetation, the railway could not be seen from the air – so could not be targeted by German bombers. A strict ‘no-weeding’ policy ensured it remained invisible to enemy eyes.

After the war, the railway closed in stages. It survived Beeching, but in the mid-1960s, the southern section of the line between Wheldrake and Cliffe Common closed. By 1972, all the line south of Dunnington had closed, leaving just the eastern stretch of line between Dunnington and York in operation."

As well as the railway the site is now home to the York Auction Centre and the Yorkshire Museum of Farming amongst others and on GE there appears to be some type of protected enclosure alongside both the railway line and the A64 .
Youth is wasted on the young !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds