The RAF and Lincolnshire made a significant contribution to British defence during the Cold War. Post-WWII onwards, the Avro Lincoln, English Electric Canberra, B-29 Superfortress, Vulcan, Bloodhound missile and Phantom all made their operational debuts in the county. It was home to the Vulcans of the V-Force - so central to the British airborne nuclear deterrent - stationed at three of the county's airfields and also saw Thor nuclear ballistic missiles stationed within it's boundaries; a sign of the ongoing arms race between East and West, especially during the 1950's - 1970's. For many years, the Lightning supersonic fighter was a familiar sight in Lincolnshire's skies, eventually being replaced by the Tornado. Today, many of the Cold War sites and associated aircraft are now just relics. They join their WWI and WWII predecessors, reminders of the rich aviation heritage in Lincolnshire, echoing periods when Lincolnshire was at the forefront of Britain's airborne defence and deterrent in more dangerous times, when the Cold War could so easily have become 'hot'.
A5 soft cover format with 47 pages, colour photographs to the cover and black and white photographs and diagrams throughout.