RAF 'Y' Stations etc. Discussion Thread

01 Dec 2013 22:47 #101 by Greendoor
Replied by Greendoor on topic RAF 'Y' Stations etc.
Thanks, mbriscoe, for the V-2 BIG BEN update.

I still trying to identify if/whether Kent College Canterbury had anything to do with the BIG BEN activity. The way you describe it, probably not but we'll see. What has come to light is that there was an RAF Canterbury from mid-1944 until possibly the end of the war. TNA archives remove all doubt about the Canterbury site's role in the Y-service, yet no other researcher seems to have picked it up It would have been typical of the 'system' that a cock-and-bull misleading leak would have been about to protect the real goings-on after West Kingsdown Y station took a V-1 for lunch.

I'll post anything related that I unearth.

from behind the Greendoor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Dec 2013 07:10 #102 by PETERTHEEATER

04 Dec 2013 17:08 #103 by Greendoor
Replied by Greendoor on topic RAF 'Y' Stations etc.
6811th Signal Security detachment Bexley Heath, Kent.

Elsewhere I have had to apologize for confusing Bromley GEE site disused aerial field with what has turned out to be the American Army sigint static 'field' site at Bexley Heath, Kent. Interesting that this site does not feature in most of the accepted Y-site lists even though it was quite substantial. Now, however, the historical fact of the unit's existence is in the public domain.
There was certainly an American Y-site called 6811th Signal Security detachment operating from early 1944 thro' to war's end from an Elizabethan manor house called Hall Place, Bexley Heath, Kent. It was feeding raw intercept back to Bletchley Park for processing. See the link:

< www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/2007...WS01/70921012/‎; >

By May 45, there were about 500 Americans doing sigint in UK
Sorry for duff-gen, I've posted a correction on the Bromley thread.

from behind the Greendoor

06 Feb 2014 20:36 #104 by doug
Replied by doug on topic RAF 'Y' Stations etc.
Fayrenees Kingsgate is right alongside the Radar station that was RAF Foreness which was in use from 1939 until the late 1950s. This was a busy area during ww2. with signal statins at North Foreland and st.stephens college [ a signals squadron moved from Keston near Biggin Hill.] Have not come across a y station at Kingsgate, but we are checking some maps that the works and bricks guys found when they were tidying up. [ one shows a listening post , entrance road, hut, aerial ww2 vintage nothing else] over to you on that one.

10 Feb 2014 02:29 #105 by Cornishpete
Replied by Cornishpete on topic RAF 'Y' Stations etc.
Have looked through the Y lists and perhaps am missing it but somewhere in the very back of my mind i seem to remember having once seen mention in a book or article that there was a WW2 intercept station in Radlett, Hertfordshire? Or was this a later Cold War station?

10 Feb 2014 12:09 - 08 Sep 2017 15:42 #106 by carnaby
Replied by carnaby on topic RAF 'Y' Stations etc.

Have looked through the Y lists and perhaps am missing it but somewhere in the very back of my mind i seem to remember having once seen mention in a book or article that there was a WW2 intercept station in Radlett, Hertfordshire? Or was this a later Cold War station?

I now have a better source than the one obtained from Bletchley (which was stated to be incomplete). From TNA HW41/4
01, List of Y Stations (WWII) there is no mention of Radlett. The nearest two were the Foreign Office station at Sandridge, St Albans and the Army site at Harpenden. Both were intercept stations in Eastern Command.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

10 Feb 2014 17:58 #107 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic RAF 'Y' Stations etc.
Caught a snippet of a programme on TV today that said the "Y" stations came about because the number of aerials sprouting at Bletchley Park would be a clue as to its true purpose so the listeners were spread out.

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (Mark Twain)

11 Feb 2014 22:03 #108 by Cornishpete

I now have a better source than the one obtained from Bletchley (which was stated to be incomplete). From TNA HW41/101, List of Y Stations (WWII) there is no mention of Radlett. The nearest two were the Foreign Office station at Sandridge, St Albans and the Army site at Harpenden. Both were intercept stations in Eastern Command.

I dug deeper and came across this at goldbeach.org.uk/Y%20service/SWS1.htm
"Special Wireless Section (SWS) Voluntary Intercept service formed at Radlett.
It was formed at Radlett, England for the jamming of the enemy's wireless and radar transmissions. This was an ATS unit
Would still be interested to know where exactly.

11 Feb 2014 22:34 #109 by mbriscoe
Replied by mbriscoe on topic RAF 'Y' Stations etc.

I dug deeper and came across this at goldbeach.org.uk/Y%20service/SWS1.htm
"Special Wireless Section (SWS) Voluntary Intercept service formed at Radlett.
It was formed at Radlett, England for the jamming of the enemy's wireless and radar transmissions. This was an ATS unit
Would still be interested to know where exactly.

The RAF No. 80 (Signals) Wing was based in Radlett, they were responsible for the various countermeasures - 'Beam Bending'.

I would recommend getting hold of a copy of

Royal Air Force Beam Benders: 80 (Signals) Wing 1940-1945
Laurie Brettingham

It is many years since I read my copy but it has quite a bit about the various buildings they used in Radlett including a map of the village.

They started at 'Radium', the alternative Fighter Command Administrative Headquarters at Garston but moved to Aldenham Lodge, Radlett. The Operations Room and workshop moved to Newberries. They took reports from Watcher stations, intelligence and Y Service and gave out instructions to jamming at outstations and Starfish decoy and fire sites (with one or two exceptions) and air arm, the Wireless Intelligence and Development Unit (later known as 109 Squadron).

12 Feb 2014 02:17 #110 by Cornishpete
Thank you so much, I appreciate your help and have placed an order for a used copy through Amazon.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds