Albion AM463 tanker

20 Feb 2011 11:14 #1 by Pat_Pattle
Albion AM463 tanker was created by Pat_Pattle
Hi all,

Could anyone help with a question please? I'm modelling an Albion tanker for the CFS3 Battle of Britain install.

A couple of photos I've found show this circular board arrangement above the tank. Am I right in guessing that it's a visibilty aid and would have been either white or yellow in colour?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here's my effort, modelled in Gmax. The wheels & tyres need reducing in size and the camo paint needs finishing.
It'll probably end up as a 'driveable' vehicle once I can get some photos of the cab interior.

The RAF types in the background seem particularily disinterested, maybe they've spotted a WAAF!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2011 13:08 #2 by ted angus
Replied by ted angus on topic Albion AM463 tanker
I have a series of pre and early WW2 AMOs on the subject of Vehicle & Ground danger markings on aerodromes.
This was know as a double disc, constructed from 20swg steel sheet 2 feet in diameter, originally to be painted orange but some contradictary orders give yellow. Attached show the full item. Seem to have been discontinued very early in the war and replaced by yellow or orange upper surfaces even on camo painted aerodrome vehicles.
TED

Attached files [IMG]/community/68801=4128-30 Nov 39.jpg[/img] [IMG]/community/68801=4129-Albion Flight Feb 1940.jpg[/img]

21 Feb 2011 14:40 #3 by Pat_Pattle
Replied by Pat_Pattle on topic Albion AM463 tanker
Many thanks Ted, interesting stuff!

Still more to do & tidy up, I think it looks better with the marker in place.

22 Feb 2011 11:26 #4 by J4NE Zane
Replied by J4NE Zane on topic Albion AM463 tanker
I thought that painted upper surfaces on airfield vehicles was post war. My guess, and only a guess is tht the tanker would display this disc if he was in the process of refuelling, i would imagine it would slot into a tube mounted on the back of the cab. nice model by the way. I have built a driveable AEC 0854 (Matador) 6x4 tanker in Second life - but sadly this is too big for the 'model' of Biggin Hill i am creating as I believe Biggin used Bedford OY ?.

22 Feb 2011 13:32 #5 by ted angus
AMO A 897 /44 (Camo Painting of MT vehicles )calls for yellow upper surfaces on vehicles and equipment used within the landing area. It draws attention to AMO A486/44 which gives greater detail but it calls for yellow !!. I have seen both but mostly yellow on WW2 colour film. The RAF didn't use the Bedford OY as a refueller ypu possibly mean the QL from late 41 ??
TED

22 Feb 2011 14:42 #6 by P Bellamy
Replied by P Bellamy on topic Albion AM463 tanker
We had a Bedford OX artic with a fuel bowser on the back in the MT section at Bletchley Park before it was closed.

Paul Bellamy
Archive & Collections Manager
ARG Archive, Alconbury

25 Feb 2011 13:21 #7 by J4NE Zane
Replied by J4NE Zane on topic Albion AM463 tanker

AMO A 897 /44 (Camo Painting of MT vehicles )calls for yellow upper surfaces on vehicles and equipment used within the landing area. It draws attention to AMO A486/44 which gives greater detail but it calls for yellow !!. I have seen both but mostly yellow on WW2 colour film. The RAF didn't use the Bedford OY as a refueller ypu possibly mean the QL from late 41 ??
TED

Hi Ted There is a Bedford OY or OX? tanker on the Pathe news film King Hussain's visit to Biggin Hill it is at 01:00.48 in front of the control tower.
www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=39456
I do know the difference but thanks for the info about the sate for a QL :)

25 Feb 2011 15:51 #8 by ted angus
That is a fire tender; Bedford OY 500 gal look at the bell mounted on the off side at windscreen level. It provided additional water to the tendfer on the right which is a MK 5. Behind the Bedford is an Austin that will be an Austin K6 CO2 tender.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds